Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crash Helmets

steffan j granger

Dear 7'ers 😬 😬 😬

I'm thinking of going for my first track day for which a crash helmet to BS standard is 'recommended'.

I want to buy (hoping for much use) but I'm not sure what to go for as I understand different helmets are made to different standards eg MSA / FIA etc..

In order that I can use my helmet on other track days throughout the season, should I look for a helmet made to a particular standard, if so which one?

Many thanks in anticipation of your comments. *thumbup*

Steffan

Steffan

D997 TGO - All white - AND LOVING IT!

As far as I know noe of the track day organisers ask for a particular standard of helmet, just that you have one, certainly mine has never been checked.

Some of the ones they use themselves for people without their own are shocking.

More of a question is the old one of "How much do you value your head?"

Basicaly spend as much as you feel you can, with the usual caveats on the law of diminishing returns.

• Support Team

Octagon (former trackday organisers at Brands, Cadwell, Oulton, etc.) had begun to insist on BS6658 part A approved helmets although they actually never seemed to check. To race in the UK you need that spec of helmet for most events and for international you will need an FIA approved helmet - Snell SA2000 seems to be the standard that is required for FIA approval. The Snell standard is stricter in some ways than the BS.

Basically if you get a BS6658 part A or Snell SA2000 approved helmet then you can;t go far wrong and if you decide to start Sprinting then you won't need a new helmet.

Try on several helmets from different manufacturers as they will fit different shape heads and once you have one that appears to fit then leave it on for 20-30 minutes to make sure it remains comfortable.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Steffan,

Try searching for helmets in the archives, there have been many threads on this, some recently.

As mentioned if you plan to do any form of sprinting etc either with the L7CGB or elsewhere then you will need a helmet that meets the standards mentioned - and the higher level standard is Snell SA2000.

Brian