Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Peugeot 306 new feature

rdchalfont

My 306 decided to self-install a new feature over the weekend...

The power-steering pump has decided to modify itself into a horrible whiney noise maker whilst at the same time all the hydraulic fluid shoots out of the steering rack under the car somewhere like a water pistol and goes all over the road.

It does this every time I turn the steering wheel - very annoying!! *mad* *mad*

Edited by - rdchalfont on 27 Jan 2004 17:12:47

easy solution... don't turn the wheel! use the handbrake/throttle for changing direction instead... of cause this might result in increased tyre wear...

😬

ps have you checked for gerbils in the engine bay? I hear they can make high pitched winey noises...

Thanks to some (Franchised dealer) Fskwit without a torque wrench, the sup on my Passat has 'Mysteriously' cracked around the sump plug, just after the service.

Told VW assist at 9am, They're gonna deliver a replacement a 4pm, then I've got to drive to Glesga (Ross, I'll wave when I go past Dundee road-end *thumbup*) in....

A bloody people carrier *confused* *mad*

No. of people: 1 (albeit fairly fat 😳)

Amount of notice: A whole day *mad*

Regard now held for 'Quality' VW & aftersales: 🙆🏻 *mad* 🙆🏻

Mark

Look it's Mavis here and Jubilee 7 here

The Corollas I used to have in Cyprus (where import duty on new cars was 150%, so a boggo Toyota wasn't actually too low down the chain...) had a somewhat underdeveloped power-steering system.

If you twirled the wheel very quickly from some LH lock to some RH (e.g. whilst hooning), the pump would actually reverse the assistance and provide (extremely untimely) resistance instead. *mad*

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

hmmm.. I've a friend who in the olden days used to fly Bucanneers for the Royal Navy. Apparently their hydraulic flight controls were 'under developed' as well. After about two big quick manouevers one after another you'd lose hydraulic pressure and have to wait a while for it to build pressure back up befor being able to do anything else.... *eek* *eek*

I'm blaming it on gerbils building their nests between the engines... well who can blame them, it is lovely and warm there I would imagine, albeit a little noisy.

I think someone did forget to tell the pilots they were a 'stable bombing platform'..... like me in a rental car.. doesn't matter if its meant to be a 'stable long distance cruiser' I'll still be trying to hand-brake it around the (empty) car park and throw it around the twisty bits!!! 😬 😬

(note to anyone renting a Lincoln Towncar in the US... the button to turn the traction control OFF is in the glove box....)

Its like they say - 'Whats the difference between your 4x4 and a rental car? A rental car really will go anywhere!' Guess the same holds true for loan cars...

I've checked and can confirm there are no gerbils in the power steering reservoir - are there any other common nesting locations to look out for?

I managed to get a Fiesta hire car stuck on the giants causeway when I was in N Ireland last month! That was 20 mins after I got it stuck on a beach just down the road!

savin up to be eccentric. but for now, i'll just be stupid...

Rhubarb:

(note to anyone renting a Lincoln Towncar in the US... the button to turn the traction control OFF is in the glove box....)

Oh yes, I remember this. I failed to spin the wheels on gravel so after a 20 minute read of the manual we found the button. Some hoonery then resulted in a lorry park at about 10pm; it was like the Dukes of Hazzard for 5 minutes till the truckers started curtain twitching and we decided to slither off before the rozzers arrived or we got shot. (It was Tennessee).

I can report that on an unsurfaced gravel road a LTC is quite a predictable handler: oversteer on demand but too softly sprung for backlane hustling, when I tried. It was still very good fun over compressions - an airborne 2 tonne vehicle on a gravel road is, erm, exciting.

My God, that's a second posting in the Sheds. Noooo, I need help!