Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which gearbox

CHRIS CLARK

Also be aware that tyre rolling circumference varies considerably from manufacturer to manufacturer!

Chris,

Use the gearing calculatio program to figure out waht gearbox is best. I can email it to you if you do not have it. Send your request by email!

All you need to know is overall tyre diameter (inches), diff ratio, max rpm and gearbox type. the program does the rest of the calc for you.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

I had a look at Dave Andrews site and tried his gear ratio program.

I measured my 16" wheel and 205/45 tyre combo and found it gives a diameter of 22.5"

I have a standard 5 speed box for a 1998 Roadsport (the Classic's 5spd has slightly different ratios according to the handbook) and 3.92 diff.

At maximum revs (7,600 rpm for my 1.6k SS) the maximum speed in each gear is:

1st 39mph

2nd 72mph

3rd 103mph

4th 130mph

5th 158mph (clearly and overdrive gear!)

For the 6 speed with a 3.62 diff you get:

1st 52mph

2nd 70mph

3rd 88mph

4th 106mph

5th 124mph

6th n/a

So 2nd gear is similar for both 'boxes.

3rd gear for the 6 speed fills the gap between 2nd and 3rd on the 5 speed.

As most agree, the problem gear on the 5 speed is 1st - even if you take the car up to maximum revs, changing into second drops the car to about 4,000rpm compared to 5,700rpm for the 6 speed.

Actually, my only problem with the 5 speed is accelerating hard out of a roundabout in 2nd gear, doing 25mph (say). It doesn' feel natural to change into 1st with only 10+ mph left in it, but in 2nd gear it takes a while to wind the revs up (and means a BMW 330d can hassle me for a short while!!).

QUESTION

For all you 6 speed box owners out there, how easy/natural is it to change into 1st gear in such circumstances?

Very easy.

Warning:

Youmay read elsewhere on this site that a high set of ratio's (with a nice cruising top gear) will not impact your acceleration once you are in second.

I just moved from a 3,38 diff believing the crusing ability the 6 speed gives with this diff ratio was a bonus, only to be beaten by less powerful K Series cars with lower gearing over 1/4 mile runs.

I have tested the car with a 3.92 diff and six speed (yes this works out to 5900 rpm at a ton!) but the acceleration is immensely improved.

Go with a 6 speed on a 3.92 if you are brave or a 3.62 if you are not!

Arnie Webb

See the R500 eater here

Chris,

So long as you don't plan to make too many motorway journeys setting your car up for 5500 -6000 rpm in top at the ton will be fine, and mnaximise acceleration (this pres. being why you u/graded your engine in the first place)

If you want to try these ratio's, ( as a passenger in my car) weather permitting I'll be at this months NK meet.

Is that sufficient adv. warning for you???

Arnie Webb

See the R500 eater here

Arnie

You've set your self very high, it could be a very big fall if it doesn't go your way.

When do I get my return on a trackquestion.gif

Jason

R500FUN

The Proven VX eater smile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by - Jason on 15 Apr 2001 21:06:49

If you use a diff that gives you 60mph in first with the six speed your off the line accel will be the same as a 5 speed which does the same.

If however you use a trick clutch like Peter and I have, you can leveage the benefit of a very fast 1st to 2nd change and get better off the line grip/accel.

I'm expecting a sub 3 sec out of my car when I get things all sorted. Not on the crappy surface at Brooklands or the Pod though. 3.5s is achievable at Brooklands.

Arnie Webb

See the R500 eater here

Timothy,

Forget the preconceved ideas about 'em being noisy; it was very good. I could quite easily live with the slight (and I mean slight) increase in the g/box 'whine'. Nothing drastic at all though. No, overall, very impressed.

Me. I just bought a six speed though !!!