Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll Cages any other choice

michaelw

Micheal I apologise for tagging on to your thread but I to would be interested to find out if there are any alternate cages that could be used. I know you can not put a price on your safety but I do not plan to race just do trackdays.

At Autosport I spoke to Caged (the people who supply Caterham) about cages and they will only sell via Caterham.

I heard Safety Devices do a cage that fits a Caterham but not been able to find out any more detail.

If there are alternate to CC then if there is enough interest then may be we can organise a bulkbuy and hopefully get the cost down.

Alan and his Yellow and Green BDR.

No problem Alan, I have been looking today and according to another post recently Safety devices used to supply Caterham but the lead times were too high - Hmmmm. So I have been trying to contact them and will let you know if I get any joy.

I am also not racing but doing track days and worry about going off or probably more likely getting hit on the road and think the cage would add a lot of ridgidity to the car in a shunt even if you didn't turn over. I would like to still use the hood but prefer the look of the SLR cage.

Michael.

Pretty sure Stu is right on the SD cages I think someone has tried before. I doubt anyone else would make one for a Caterham due to the low numbers. If you count out all the Caterham race series which have to use the official cages then you are down to very low demand for another manufacturer to do one. Companies that do one offs may be able to do a cage but this is usually expensive!

There are companies out there that will produce custom cages for sensible money - try talking to Custom Cages as a starting point - usually costs less than the official factory cage.

Cost is not the most important factor when purchasing safety equipment....

Safety Devices may have been restricted as to selling roadsports cages publicly when they were the official supplier to Caterham. Now they are not then their view may well have changed, worth a phone call.

What about the SLR cages, are these still supplied by Safety Devices or do Caged do these too now? This may well skew the situation!

At Autosport Caged had a Roadsport an SLR cage on display.

I know demand for cages mainly comes from poeple racing and regs dictate they must have one but over the last year I have spoken to a few people who would like a cage but can not justify the cost. Surely Caged/Caterham could make as much by selling cheaper but selling more units. I know quality costs money but can not believe a rollcage costs 5 times the amout of materials and labour to make a cage compared to a FIA rollbar.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now got a price of £495 + VAT and delivery on the Roadsport cage from safety devices with a 3-4 week lead-time. I seem to remember the Caged one from Caterham is £595. Is that right?

If so does anybody have any opinions on whether the Caged one is any better and worth the extra £100. I think the SD needs an extra dash mount and the Caged one looks better IMHO.

I can try for a "Bulk" price with SD if anybody else is interested but I think the Caterham one is probably the one I will go for.

Michael.

I'm currently looking at options to replace my std spaghetti bar, and up to now was going down FIA route, believing that was only bar that would enable use of hood.

Caged R/Sport bar looks nice, but (apologies in advance for novice question), can it be specified with side impact bars??? I have a fear (not whilst driving) of being T-boned at a track-day or hitting a bank and the de-dion tube snapping, with potential risk from wayward O/S/R wheel... *eek*

Yes you can get a side impact bar for the roadsport cage. Only problem is you won't be able to open the door or use the hood with it in place. Therefore, I don't bother with a side impact bar on my roadsport cage. I mainly use the car on the road with just the occasional track day. If I had more of a track bias in my use of the car I would possibly have kept it on.