Click here if you are having website access problems ×

spark-plugs and the truth about it !

Marius

Yesterday my d***** 45s Weber made the spark-plugs wet like the sea again. This was my second set of plugs already in a very short time.

I often heard that the plugs are not useable anymore if they´ve gone wet once. Isn´t it possible to "clean" and "dry" them properly and use them again ??

I know I´ll have to alter the carb-settings but TB´s are rolling on in three weeks, so I´ll keep it like that until that day.

Any recommendations welcome.

Marius

You can of course use it again. But in fact the only real solution is to solve the problem of carbs

I think your engine is an X-flow, I can recommand you to use :

Champion N6YCC (competition but very good for fast road)

NGK BP7ES Caterham choice for 1600 Sprint engine

NGK BP8ECS Caterham choice for 1700 Super Sprint engine

I have a 16OO Sprint with A2 cam, a stage 2 Burton unleaded head and after tested the above reference I use NGK BP7EVX (platinium) and everything goes well.

My carbs are 4O DCOES Weber with 120 main, 180 air, Chokes 30

Emulsion tube are F16, idle jets 60F8 !!! and pump jet 35

More informations on www.bonzai.fr

eric

Hi Eric, thanks for the more than sufficient answer. I run the carbs on a 2litre 16v Vauxhall engine and will try them again tomorrow. Even if I cleaned and dried the plugs again, the engine wetens them within the first 30seconds of cold running until the first plug drops out. It has never done this before, so my thought was...

a) something wrong with the carbs

b) at least one of the spark-plugs is rotten

Any recommendations out there what plugs to use in a modified XE on carbs ??? An on TB´s ???

Thanks a lot,

Marius

Sounds like your idle circuits are too rich - might be worth checking the jets and mixture screws. Also, despite the perceived wisdom of cooler plugs for modified engines, I have found that for road use (a lot of time spent on idle) using LRP or unleaded that I needed hotter plugs.

E.g. for my 1700 xflow I use Champion N9Y's (cf N7Y) or NGK BP6ES (cf BP8ECS). Yes, that is two grades hotter otherwise they foul in less than 50 miles.

The car has been checked on a rolling road (Dave Walker no less) to confirm carb settings, and the plug temperature has been determined experimentally on the basis of get hotter until it stops fouling.

Cheers,

Graham