Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheels

Warren S Smith

I am on the verge of deciding to buy a car with the VHPD engine. Please don't chew my head off but I like the 16" HPC wheels. Would anyone be able to let me know what would be the best tyres to fit (Yoko 32Rs for example) and roughly what these tyres would cost each.

Thanks,

Do not fit the Avon ZZ-1 as supplied by Caterham.

Even the old Mich Pilots are better.

Believe the 032 is available in 205/50x16 but not 45-series.

Would probably just make speedo more accurate.

Try for the softest tyres you can find.

Goodyear F-1? Maybe Bridgestone S0-2 if available in size?

Warren,

I bought a set of imaculate HPC's from someone on this site for £300.00 including a set of Pilots hardly used. I've seen several others advertised since both here and in "Low Flying". That would be your best bet.

You may find though, that if you buy a cycle wing car that has 13" fitted, that the 16" will not fit under the wing stays. Only real solution for me was to buy new stays and swap them over. This means removing the front brake pipes as they go throught the centre triangle of the stays, nothing's ever straightforward eh?

Caterham also sell different front cycle wings for the larger diameter wheels, but I kept my old ones and they look fine.

Incidentally, I bought my 16" against the run of popular opinion because I needed extra ground clearance on my 1.6k ss (which was only about 1 1/2") for everday use. I have kept my 13" for track days.

Mike

This is going to look a mess because the formatting doesn't fit the Forum but if you fight your way through the numbers you can see relative performance.

The easiest thing to spot is that the ZZ-1 got last place in every test.

Price Dry Stop1 Dry Stop2 WetStop1 Wet Stop2 Dry Lap Wet Lap

Avon ZZ1 £108 10th 10th 10th 10th 10th 10th

Michelin MXX3 £113 4th 6th 9th 8th 1st 5th

GoodYear F1 £116 9th 7th 4th 4th 5th 1st

Yoko A520 £103 2nd 1st 8th 9th 4th 9th

Toyo Proxes T1 Plus £103 3rd 3rd 6th 7th 6th 7th

Fulda Extremo £87 6th 2nd 2nd 9th 2nd 2nd

Dunlop Sport 2000 £TBA 4th 5th 5th 2nd 8th 8th

Pirelli P7000 £92 7th 4th 1st 3rd 4th 3rd

Cont. Sport Contact £84 8th 8th 7th 6th 9th 6th

Bridgestone S-02 £127 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 7th 2nd

Excuse my ignorance, but why then do Caterham fit as standard what appear to be almost universally considered the worst possible tyres? The (retail) price difference doesn't look great.

Reg Marjason

C7 SEV

Reg - Commercial relationships?

Personally I think the 7 looks fantastic with 13" wheels (much more "race car for the road) and grossly over-wheeled with 16"ers. And there are more decent tyres to choose from at much lower prices. Each to his/her own...

Still, at least with a VHPD engine you'll have enough power to lug them round wink.gif

Nigel - I just happened to read this thread after your one on traction control! Maybe a swap of tyres would help?

C7 AJM

You don't buy a hi-fi without listening to it and comparing it with others, so DON'T buy a Caterham with 16" wheels without trying it against one with 13's. You can't just buy according to what looks good... can you?

Having said that, I believe there is no comparison. The 16" wheels feel huge and heavy. Their high unsprung weight is felt through the car. Even the 15's feel heavy. Go for the smallest and lightest wheels, then you have the option of reduced spring rates, which in turn gives a better ride. This is Chapman philosophy remember.

I always wonder when people say they need larger wheels for ground clearance, when most people I know have 13" wheels and manage OK. Granted 1 1/2 inches clearance is very low, but why is this I wonder? I know a couple of superlight drivers who have more clearance than that with 13" wheels AND ACB10's which have a particularly low profile. Perhaps the adjustable suspension is a better bet. I don't know how much a new set of larger wheels costs compared to an adjustable suspension setup, but I think I could point the one worth the money.

I also know that people say you should only use 13" wheels on the track, and once believed that myself. Since then, I've covered 9000 miles on 13" wheels, mostly on the road and haven't found any problems. I have adjustable suspension though. I reckon I've got about 3 inches of clearance, but with the stiffer springs which are standard on the SLR, this keeps my sump off the road.

The dry sump may also help, but only a tiny little bit. I believe the clearance difference is only about a half inch.

Don't mean to chew your head off. In fact, I haven't, but I would urge you to try both setups first. If you live near the Midlands you are welcome to come to the Worcs L7 club meeting tomorrow night (Weds 11th March) and you could try a few different setups.

>>why then do Caterham fit as standard what appear to be almost universally considered the worst possible tyres?

They get the cheapest deal they can from a manufacturer for tyres to fit every wheel option in the range.

If you look back in time you'll see that before Avon they fitted all Michelin and before that all Goodyear.

Obviously there is no way this can result in us getting the best tyres in every size.

In this instance they probably get an excellent deal on ACB10s and we get lumbered with rubbish.

The answer if you can buy new is to buy your own tyre package.

>>what will they say

Don't know

and what should I fit?

Bridgestone S-02 if can get the size

Goodyear F1

Pirelli P7000

Yokohama A520

Bridgestone Potenza RE910

A032 if you don't mind 205/50x16

I would fit almost anything before I would put ZZ-1s on my car again.

Anyone want to buy 2 low mileage ZZ-1s?

I am surprised with the price you pay the 195/50 15 MICHELIN PILOT. In France you can have 4 Brand new Pilot for less than

£ 200

It is the price I pay mine

The Avon 190/50 15 are 3 times more expensive and the tests

seems to be not very good

eric