Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

worn steering rack

Englishmaninwales

1994 Supersport. Rack is black steel tube type and looks like those on my Minis 25 years ago.

The steering rack is sitting on the workbench. It has play in both inner ball joints (not the pinion). Search of the archives indicates that tightening the nut inboard of the joints may resolve the problem. Is this correct, or does the rack need to be overhauled? Does anybody know of an exchange/reconditioning service in North Wales/Chester area?

Surely I don't have to spend £200 on a new Caterham rack

Malcolm

Adjusting the bid allen screw on the top of the rack will take up the play due to wear in the rack. I doubt it will affect inner joints. Are you sure it's the inner joint that worn - I was convinced this was the problem until I had a REALLY close look at where the play was in my rack - adjusting the large nut sorted it...

• Area Representative

Exactly what I thought Malcolm as I posted on TomB's North Wales thread. Hope you get it sorted soon. See you at Daresbury?

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

JP thanks.

The wear is in the inner joints for sure. I don't think shims will resolve this. The rack type is identical to that on P.99 of Tony Weal's book. I guess the ball cup is worn.

Any more ideas anybody?

Tom B - I hope you didn't omit to go up Nant y Garth 😬

Nick - Pit stops here always welcome *thumbup* See tel no above. I will miss Daresbury this month as I will be working ☹️

Stu - I now have an estimte for the engine build from DA. I hope to do this in early summer. My main concern at present is getting it through the MOT *eek*

Malcolm

The inner joints are adjustable up to a point. Not a particularly easy job though as the locking nut for the joint is drilled and dowelled to the rack to prevent movement (on the one I reconditioned at least). This pin has to be drilled out (its soft) before the joint can be adjusted. Re pin the joint after you have adjusted it.

• 2 weeks later...