Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

She won't start

Seven in SA

Had a problem with my ignition barrel and used to have to giggle the key a bit to get the car to start. Was going to replace it at the weekend, on Monday I started her up and there was a hell of a racket coming from the engine bay. The alternator belt was screeching and there was a rattling noise. I then noticed that the key had not gone back to it's normal position and was stuck in the start position. I turned it back to the middle and the noise went away. Replaced the ignition barrel yesterday and this morning it would not start. Battery was not the best but it was cranking up and just not kicking in. Have put the battery on charge and will try again tonight. I am just a bit worried that it is not the battery and is something else caused by the key sticking in the start position, could I have fried the starter/knackered the fly wheel etc.etc.

Suspect buggered starter pinion as result of switch fault. Pull starter and examine for damage. Inspect at the same time ring gear. Check also correct operation of starter pinion gear, whether pre engaged or inertia.

Also before doing this try rocking the car in gear to turn the engine a bit then take it out of gear (!)and try again. If you have a bald bit on the ring gear this can cause this.

If the key was stuck in position 3, then after the engine fired the starter motor continued to try to turn the engine whilst under petrol power. If it was successfully meshed with the ring gear then you've probably got a burnt out starter motor and possibly some mangled electrics from the current generated as the motor worked as a dynamo. If it wasn't successfully meshed then you've probably got a stripped ring gear or stripped cog on the starter motor.

You can tell which of these it is quite easily - if the starter motor is spinning when you try to start it (it makes a noise) then it's turning and the electrics are not fried, if it is not spinning then you have the first problem I described above.

From the fact that you said the alternator belt was screeching I suspect some nasty reverse currents in being generated in your electrics doing something funny with the alternator when you had the problem, so some mangled electrics are quite likely to result.

If you push start the car does everything work as normal?

Does the alternator still charge the battery?

Does the battery still hold charge?

Charlie

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: There is no plan

S5EVN

Cheers guys,

I think I might have got away with it. The battery was fully charged when I got home last night, I rocked it and tried. She took a bit to start at first but after that started on the button, and all fine this morning. The alternator belt had jump a groove but apart from that so far so good. Probably wont start tonight having said that. Will do a proper check at the weekend.

Thank you

Nic

As I recall the gearing ratio of the starter motor to engine is in the order of 15:1, so when the motor fires and drives the starter pinion ! ! !, starter motor bearings aren't designed for this speed, let alone the commutator and brushes, and the back EMF, can' wonder the alternator was crying FOUL ! ! !

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.