Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Coutenay Turbo installation VX 2.0 16v

Mike C

Just testing the water here!

I might well decide to sell an entire Courtenay turbo sytstem for a Vauxhall Caterham.

This is a specific system designed by them for a caterham installation and includes every component you need to convert from normally aspirated.including t28 turbo, bespoke exhaust system, special radiators and intercoolers, cams, coswort pistons, wiring loom, ecu etc etc.

It would cost well in excess of £25k to do again!!!!!!!!

Open to offers/chat. Asking for a fraction of build cost and this is not to be confused with a Mickey Mouse turbo conversion. This sytstem makes a genuine 320bhp and 300f/lbs torque and has proven robust and reliable

Regards

Mike

07770 968944

Mike, would it not be easier to just sell the entire engine as a 'Whole installation' rather than trying to break it into component form, this way it would be worth more money as it will be a runner, then you could build/ source another XE unit from scratch.

Founder Member of The Twisted Prop Club.

Peter, fair point but I want to keep the block and head as it's from the JPE. I won't split the components so any prospective buyer would be able to drive the car as it is. I'll then dismantle all components and package up as a full kit, so to speak.

Regards

Mike

I know what you mean, why don't you just keep the head as you will have to re-bore / hone the block anyway, and so will the person buying the pistons, are the valves in the head special also, being soduim cooled? due to excessive heat generation. Have you thought about a part exchange from a fellow xe owner, you never know there might be one out there. 😬

Founder Member of The Twisted Prop Club.

As far as I'm aware, it's using standard valves but I do want to keep the head as it's a Swindon developed unit. Maybe I should consider selling the block as well.

The conversion was done in 1996 and the car has only done 3,300 miles since. New cams of a less dramatic profile were fitted a year ago etc. It is a genuine 320bhp unit.

I'm debating whether to revert back to standard JPE spec or to keep it as it is.

I only want £4k for ALL of the bits, which must be a bargain for someone contemplating going down this route. I think the original build cost of the car was in excess of £84k!!!!!!

Mike

Definately revert to standard JPE.

There are so few JPE's about and it is the 'ultimate' standard 7 a legend. *thumbup*

I think some cars should be modified, but others such as the JPE should be kept standard as a benchmark!

Personally I'd love a totally black JPE, rare and original (somethings you just can't buy)!

Parky

Edited by - Greg Park on 14 Jan 2004 11:31:42

I think the fact that it say at Paul Stephens unsold for around a year (partly due to the high price) shows that the majority of people aren't interested in such a modification.

If it had been a standard JPE for sale I'd have certainly been interested as it's a rare beast and they don't come up that often and I'm sure it would have generated similar interest from others.

Parky

I looked at it a long time ago but the price (above £30k at the time) and the fact that it was said to be undriveable with the turbo installation put me off. I did submit a bid to Bernard when he posted on Blatchat recently though.

Incidentally, when I looked at it initially there did seem some confusion about whether it was a genuine JPE but Bernard confirmed that it was.