Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel Bearing and Suspension joint movement

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Just MOT'd my car and although it passed, the inspector pointed out some play in one of the front wheel bearings and also some play in the bottom outer wishbone joint.

What needs to be done to sort this movement out?

Can I just adjust the wheel bearing by tightening it slightly or will it need replacing?

Is there any adjustment for the suspension joint or is that a replacement too?

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Wheel bearing movement may just be a case of adjusting the nut on the stub axle to correct the free play, might be worth a look at the grease quantity in the bearing whilst doing this.

As for the outer wishbone play, which type of lower joint do you have?, is it the much maligned trunnions, or do you have the later spherical bearings, if you have trunnions the play may be due to the plastic bushes on the bolt which locates the wishbone to the upright, being worn, these are included in a repair kit from Triumph dealers, (or whoever they are today) if the trunnion is worn, then the repair is more involved, removal of brake caliper, brake disc, trunnion, and reassembly, when the new trunnion is installed, I'm sure others here will offer their advice also, sounds as if your problem is quite minor, as it passed it's test this year, but should be attended to before serious problems arise. Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

• Support Team

Nigel - thanks for the reply. I'll have a go at tightening the wheel bearing - this was covered on the "get to know your Seven" day that I attended last year so should be straightforward.

I'm not sure which lower suspension joint I have - the car is a 1997 Superlight so i suspect it has the later spherical joint.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

You will have the spherical joint.

These do go after ~12000 miles.

Check that the whole unit is not moving up and down in the housing. There's a circlip under there around the upright nut holding it in. They should be bearing locked in too.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

I think the lower spherical bearing is used in the wrong plane, ie laterally, and not as they are generally used in a radial or axial plane, thus the loading is predominantly up and down, which is felt across the races, (which are only PTFE) proper thrust bearings probably would last a lot longer, also note that these bearings are exposed to contamination, road dirt etc, the PTFE bearing life will be reduced as a consequence.

Good old fashioned trunnions, now there's an idea !!!!!.

All the best, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Nigel is right, the Sph joint is hozizontal and fills up with crud. The machined surfaces are clearly visible from above and there is no rubber boot to keep the oil in and crud out. Yes, it is a crap piece of design. There is no excuse for it. Trunnions are indeed a more robust fitment *if properly maintained* if for no other reason than you can oil the bloody things.