Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC head upgrade and distributor

Geoff Dixon

Am just about finished (hopefully this weekend)upgrading my 1.6 K series with a replacement fully ported VVC head, throttle bodies,Piper cams, solid cam followers, Emerald M3D etc.

Question - can I use the existing rotor arm and distributor cap from off the old 1.6 head. I can see how to fit the rotor arm to the end of the inlet cam (new part eqd from ROver dealer) but how do I fit the distributor back plate as the existing fitting holes of the back plate do not line up with the holes in the cam end plate. Is it just a case of drilling replacement holes in the back plate to line up with the cam end plate. Are there any advantages to be gained in replacing the distributor with a twin coil set up as per QED?

Geoff

The wasted spark twin coil setups promote stronger sparks as the chrage does not have to pass across the rotor arm/cap gap. Also the second wasted spark helps burn off any crap left in the cylinder on the exhaust stroke.

Wasted spark is also easier to set up.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Yes you can utilise the standard Dissy, it is necessary to file the protruding ridge off the dissy back plate and drill and tap the VVC blanking plate to mount the dissy and backplate in a position to miss the blanking plate fixings. As the position of the backplate has to be rotated through about 20 degrees to do this you will have to retime the rotor arm/cam plug to suit the new location. I am planning to do just that on my head. I can`t see any big advantage in going dissyless, it will cost to have my M3d modded, new coil pack and leads and at the end of all that your spark plugs will burn away twice as fast.

Rob,

Warren said to bolt the cover plate in place and then 'fit' the dizzy cover in between the four bolts. It then actually 'locks' in place so you can mark the plate with a pencil/indelible marker (having removed the fixing screws first!). You can then drill and tap to accept the cover.thumbsup.gif

As to the rotor arm positioning, this has to be set by the Rover adaptor fitting that goes into the end of the new Piper cam. I can't remember the part no., but Warren can!!! I have done this to use a 'pre-owned' ecu that is set up for dizzy operation.

The anodised spacer is the blanking plate to cover where the VVC mechanism was, in order to mount a regular distributor cap it is necessary to rotate the cap a few degrees away from its normal position and move the distrubutor drive insert by the same amount.

For what it's worth I have already asked Warren if it would be possible to premark the VCC blanking plate with a suggested position for the two holes, he says that it shouldnt be a problem, he will also give details of the number of degrees of movement necessary on the rotor arm holder.

Oily