Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A Frame Bushes replacement advice

kirium

It has come to that time again when I need to replace the A-Frame bush on my Live Axle. Does anybody have a 'technique' they are willing to share with me for replacing the damn thing without loosing half the skin on my finger & nuckles ???

Regards

John.

My method applies to live axles, but may work for de-dions. I assume that dismantling is not an issue, but geting the b*ggers back is.

What I do is apply the rubber lube to the bushes and insert into the diff bracket, tighten with the old nut and bolt and then offer up the a-frame. When the a-frame can hold the compression of the bushes, release the nut and bolt, use a fine adjusting tool to push the a-frame upwards, and a trolley jack under the nose of the diff to tilt the bushes forward/backward. Final adjustment is with a screwdriver through the a-frame and bushes to align the holes and then offer up the bolt with a fine adjustment tool before tightening with a new nyloc.

Overall, about 20 minutes end-to-end.

Similiar method to Graham. Only differnce is that I use a very small clamp to tighten the bushes, and then offer them up to the bracket on the diff.

Fine adjustment is then carried out by the odd tap here and there and moving the car forwards and backwards very slightly which moves the axles position.

Yup, adjustable pliers do it for me. I've even done it by hand once, but that must have been a 'David Banner' moment when I couldn't reach the pliers.

Hold the pliers so they pinch the top end of the bushes (where they enter the bracket) and tilt the pliers out to the rear of the car. Then a sharp tap from the old fine adjuster and Robert's your father's brother. As above use a screwdriver to align the holes before inserting the bolt.

Don't forget the washer between the bushes. (Depends on the age of the car though I think).

Oh, and don't forget to raise the car up onto axle stands to give you enough room.

Davebo

C7 CAR

You can either change the bushes at every service. Or, wait until you hear a knocking sound from the diff under hard acceleration. I tend to have some spare and wait until they start to knock.

Rgds, Robert

Apart from the obvious knocking warnings, which I only had once after the differential had leaked oil on to the A frame bracket, I tend to change mine every year in the Springtime now as a matter of course. They really are cheap enough to be able to do it just for the peace of mind.

Brent

Thanks for all the advice chaps. After several attempts and a lot of swearing I have managed to get the new bushes (sorry, I meant buggers) in place :-)

If anybody would like a variety of new words to use whilst performing this exercise in the future I have plenty to choose from ;)

Regards

John.

What washer between the Y16's ??? Mine is a 1990 Live-Axle - There wasn't a washer between the existing bushes when I removed the rather worn old ones ??

Doh! - Don't say I've got to take them out again and bung a washer in please !!!! Don't think I can take another half hour spent swearing on the garage floor :)

Edited by - kirium on 9 Apr 2001 08:04:11

I have a 1991 Live Axle, there are no washers between my bushes. I believe that the bracket that is welded onto the diff, is a bit of a hit and miss affair, when it comes to size, therefore some need washers to pack them out.

Rgds, Robert