Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Resticking rear view mirrors

fastforward

I've searched but I can't find the answer (though this has come up before). What was the best way to stick the rear view mirror to the air brake. Mine fell off during the hot(!) weather this last week end and I ought to put it back.

Brian

brianfyfe@ema.org.uk

Brian,

When mine fell off some years ago, I paid a quick visit to Halfords and bought a double sided adhesive pad, about 1 inch square, which did the job.

A more permanent solution is to dump the air brake and fit aeros, then screw the mirror to the scuttlecool.gif

Dave H

Gosh, I know the answer to a Technical Question thumbsup.gif

Only because we've just done it blush.gif

Get clean surfaces as described above. Have hairdryer at the ready.

One side of the double-sided sticky pad has a green backing. This goes on the windscreen. However, you apply the other sticky surface to the warmed mirror first.

Then warm the windscreen with care.

Peel orf the green plastic and press the mirror to the windscreen, holding it in place until the windscreen cools.

This is how manufacturers do it and it should be good for a couple of years (ostensibly) although whether it holds up to being exposed to the elements for that length of time is yet to be discovered teeth.gif

FH smile.gif

Graham, I think you will find that there is a legal requirement for an internal mirror, unless your vehicle has no rear view due to a bulkhead or similar.ie.a Transit Van type vehicle.

I posted the exact regulation a month or so back and would recommend that you search it out for the precise position.Sorry!!

FH, are you terribly refined? Or did your finger slip?

"...peel orf...."

No offence....

Andrew

Graham Hi & Ah ha. My se7en is OWC 417 P though built later. I like my mirror cos of habit from the tin top so thanks everyone you came up trumps on solutions, as usual, but then to have such a collection of deities respond. Satisfaction guaranteed from blatchatters.(Can't wait for my stickers)

Brian

brianfyfe@ema.org.uk

Graham,

Have a look at the thread started on 19.2.220 by PACR.

The relevant legislation is the Road Vehicles( Construction and Use)Regs.1986 S.I.1986 no.1078.

You need an offside mirror and an internal, unless that would not give you any rear vision. Then you can get away with your second mirror to the nearside.

I think you have been lucky with your MOT tester!

Andrew

If you don't fancy using the cellulose thinners to clean the 'screen prior to attachment, may I recommend the use of 'Surgical Spirit'. It can be obtained from 'Boots' etc and will do a great job!!!

Dave H. Had to be an 'advert' in there on your posting somewhere!!!!!!!!!

I actually dumped the original mirror as I found it blocked my view of l/h apex's and reverted to a suction cup (small) unit as used (I believe)on the series 2. Mirror has the 'Trafalgar' brand on it. Yes, it sometimes comes off but sticks back easily with a push!

Edited by - chris clark on 6 Apr 2001 08:18:05

Andrew,

I read your comment on the previous thread, but surely the DETR would get their own site of regs correct! After all, it is the DETR that set up these silly rules and get the police to enforce them. So as the date on the web site page is 2000, then I presume that it supercedes a 1986 SI.

Apply nomex garments and running for cover...

Graham

Graham,

All I would say is that you must bear in mind that the DETR is staffed by Civil Servants, who never make mistakes do they?????

The reference book from which I lifted the S.I. is still up to date, as far as I know, and I cannot see that such a 'trivial' subject would justify a redraft of the Regulations.

However, I'm sure that having read the DETR advise, you could try to rely upon it to argue the point, in the event that you were stopped.

The Police would probably rely upon the S.I. rather than the DETR website, though!

I still believe that the DETR are wrong in their interpretation.......

Just between you and me, I am a former Police Officer and now a lawyer......

Andrew

First thing,make sure you get a pucker sticker(FORD),a lot of the aftermarket ones

don't last long.I set mine about 6" left of

centre towards the near side,gives a much

clearer view.

CHEERS C7 POW.

ch

I started a similar thread last year when I knocked my mirror off.

The Halford pads work but you have to make sure the screen & mirror arm are properly cleaned as this thread says.

I warmed the :

1) screen using the screen heater on my car.

2) the back of the mirror arm on the gas ring in the kitchen (carefully !)

Applied the pad to the mirror arm

3) warm the pad / mirror arm on the kitchen ring again (carefully !)

run outside and position the mirror (carefully).

It's been stuck firmly ever since smile.gif

Cheers,

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Try usinf a rear view mirror from Halfords designed for keeping an eye on the rug rats on the back seat .

The mirror is convex and about the size of a pack of fags , and sticks onto the screen with a good suction pad .

This has the advantages of being small hence not restricting view but convex to give a supurb field of vision .

Plus its only £5

Dave

The Halfords sticky pads are OK, but when they get wet (rain or, worse, condensation) and/or the temperature changes quite quickly I find they always eventually succumb and I find the rear view mirror in the passenger seat (where it currently is! I didn't re-stick it after a screen swap you see...).

But much better is a little "kit" Halfords do (or used to, I've not looked recently). It has some green mesh and a bottle of glue (and it may also have a rubber pad but I don't think it did).

Clean the mirror base and the screen, apply the glue to the mirror base and drop the mesh onto it. Let it go tacky then hold it tightly to the screen for about 10mins. This is a bit of a chore, but the final bond is bloody brilliant and resistant to most attempts to get it off that don't involve knives etc.

I'll be getting another of these kits at the weekend to re-attach my rvm, but may also have a quick look round for an alternative mirror that doesn't block half the screen out! I'm almost tempted to leave the car with just my two wing mirrors...

C7 AJM

Whilst your mirror is off (and assuming all factory supplied mirrors are the same) break the arm from the mirror by twisting out the ball joint (yes it will fit back in). Trim some of the plastic surround of the ball joint, reassemble to the stalk and fit the mirror stalk to the screen 180 rotated. This will give better through the screen visibility and will still fit under a hood (if I remember correctly)

Try it before you stick it !