Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New 'Caged' bar - interesting info

Frying Pan

Went to the Autosport show today, and was looking at the Caterham on the Caged stand. It had a full cage, but I noticed an FIA homologation sticker on the bar.

Got chatting to one of the chaps, and asked why my Caged bar didn;t have the sticker. Interestingly, he said it is only FIA homologated with the petty strut in place, and the strut has the sticker on...

He also said that the old Arch FIA bar has similar - only homologated with the petty strut in place, but as the sticker is on the roll bar, very few people reailse this.

Worth bearing in mind if you think you have a fully FIA compliant bar...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. Had my first drive on 19/12/03 at 17.10!

_Tim_

Petty strut triangulates the roll bar to the body. One end mounts to the bar, the other to a boss in the chassis just ahead of the sill on the passenger side. (you are using this boss from the outside-in to fix your roll cage, the petty strut mounts inside the cockpit). It is not needed on the full cage...

Does that make sense *confused*

Steve - The important bit is that an 'FIA bar' is only FIA-homologated with the petty strut in place. I belive this is why Caterham now refer to it as a 'trackday bar', as they realised people coudl be confused...

Guy

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 13 Jan 2004 14:36:11

Steve

It certainly seems that there is some confusion. As I understand it, these are the options:

'Standard Caterham bar' - Non FIA homologated, not for trackday use

Old (Arch) FIA Bar - Non-FIA homologated, OK for club trackdays, not sure about others

Old (Arch) FIA Bar with Petty Strut - FIA homologated, OK for club trackdays, OK for others

'Caged' Trackday Bar - Non-FIA homologated, OK for club trackdays, not sure about others

'Caged' Trackday Bar with Petty strut - FIA homologated, OK for club trackdays, OK for others

I presume that roll cages are all FIA homologated.

Guy

In general terms it seems to me that the entire situation with regard to roll cages has become a bit confused or may be I just don't understand.

I don't think that cars used on non-FIA events need to have FIA homologated roll cages. I have been competing on the MSA Historic Stage Rally Championship for the last couple of years and our car doesn't have any FIA marking and we don't have a Roll Cage Certificate. We have never had any problems at scrutineering or with obtaining an MSA Log Book.

I think that if you want to compete in FIA Approved events you need an Homologated Cage which must be marked according to Appendix J of the Yellow Book and be accompanied by a valid Roll Cage certificate.

I think that this means that not all cages are homologated and that for National competitions this is not an essential requirement unless specified for a particluar class or event.

Does anyone know the definitive situation.

I also beleiev that the MSA have just insisted that any new Roll Cages that are designed and require homologation must be tested or examined by MIRA and I guess taht this will add a considerable amount to the cost.

What Guy says about the Arch FIA bar with / without petty strut is correct. I raised this with a couple of people last year but I think the information was 'filed'.

The old FIA bar is not homologated unless the Petty Strut is fitted. There is no requirement at present for cars to have this fitted for Club trackdays, However it SHOULD be fitted for the Sprints.

The R500 roll bar is a thinner guage material i believe, and has no cross bracing. As such it can not be used on club organised events. It will however be fine for a large number of the other trackday organisers in the uk, such as Bookatrack and Easytrack.

As a representative of the Team and as Competition Secretary I would just like to clarify a few of the issues raised on this post.

Chris F is absolutely right in his assessment of the situation, none of the events the club run need to meet FIA standards and in answer to specific points:

Club Tracdays - The 'FIA' is required but does not need the petty strut in place but is advisable/recommended, the reason this bar is specified is the grade of material used to construct it and its design over and above the non 'FIA' bar.

Club Sprints - The 'FIA' is required but does not need the petty strut in place but is advisable/recommended, the reason this bar is specified is the grade of material used to construct it and its design (its meets Q13 of the blue book without the petty strut in place).

In essense if you want to take part in either a club trackday or sprint the minimum requirement is the 'FIA' bar of either design, the old one or the new Caged one.

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* How many events for 2004?????? (It looks like 9) *cool*