Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tacho

StewartG

My Caterham badged tacho seems to have lost its' damping. Seems to be reading about right but as the revs change it oscillates wildly before settling. Anyone had this problem and cured it? Is it the mechanism's mechanical damping that's gone AWOL or is it damped electrically or not as the case may be.

Stewart

My tacho did the same but it has improved a bit since fitting a DTA ignition system. Its still not the best but I find that I never have time to look at it. I will be wiring up a shift light soon which should be a lot more useful.

James

Mine does exactly the same and the speedo reads too high also, something to do with having 13 inch wheels. The solution, a Stack ST500 expensive but with timed 0-60 1/4 mile and a whole host of features its worth it.

Stewart,

I've got the same problem, the cheapest solution seems to be either a Stack tacho (about 200 GBP) or a decent set of shift lights (50-150 GBP).

I've decided to go for the latter, as I can barely see the tacho behind the rediculously small steering wheel I've got anyway!

Nick

It seems that Speedy Cables of Islington do a mod to correct this problem. They charge 50UKP plus VAT and add a damping circuit inside the unit. Has anyone tried this, does it work? I spoke to Caterham about this problem, which seems to be fairly common but needless to say they deny all knowledge and suggest a replacement unit which is not unreasonable at 75UKP plus VAT but in a shortish space of time will almost certainly be as bad as the one I've got.

With the interest that Caterham themselves appear to be showing in these pages it would be nice to hear from them on this and not just the usual, head in the sand, "don't know what you're talking about sir".