Click here if you are having website access problems ×

267bhp Superlight R Racecar

PeterSimpson

Hi,

I am not convinced I want to sell this but Lets see what happens, as I have another plan going round in my head! It has hardly done any miles as it was built for Hillclimbs.

1999 Superlight R Racecar (not road legal)

Built at a cost of over £45k with receipts

* Superlight full cage.

* 267bhp / 180lb/ft Swindon Racing engines C20XE-16V Vauxhall 2.0 litre. Fitted with pretty much every option including all steel internals, cams, gas flowed head, dry sumped, slide throttles, DTA Management mapped by QED, fully aeroquipped hoses for oil and fuel.

* Ap twin plate clutch

* Ap 4 pot front and 2 pot rear brakes.

* 2 Ap Suretrac lsd's. 4.4 and 4.1 cwp's.

* Quaife 4 spd dog box.

* Equal length exhaust manifolds with new stainless Techcraft 26" silencer * Fully rosejointed widetrack suspension designed and set up by Alan Stanniforth, using Penske double adjustable dampers.

* Honeycomb drivers floor.

* 2 fuel tanks, 35 litre foam filled and 6 litre.

* Stack ST8102 dash.

* 20"21"+22" Rear Slicks, front slicks and full set of wets all on split rim wheels.

* snap off Momo steering wheel.

* Fire extinguisher and roll cage padding.

* Two Varley red top batteries ( one on starting trolley )

Some spares etc etc. Brian James clubman hydraulic trailer, hardly used also potentially available

I can email photos if you send me an email to Simpson_pete@yahoo.co.uk or give me a ring on 07812 335542. The car is Mint, and ludicrously fast. 0-60 in 2.7 seconds apparently and 100 in just over 6.

Rgds

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Go on someone who wants a street chariot that exceeds any manufactured spec for a lot less than R3/4/5/00 price.

Simply flog off all the race bits (no prob there) and buy a couple of headlamps etc. with the money you get and you will have a mighty machine !!!

Bl***dy near tempted myself!

DAVID L

GETTING THE MOTOR RUNNING

HEADING OUT ON THE HIGHWAY! (soon!)

Feasible to convert to SVA compliant car, takes time and effort but can be done, using std Caterham components. Trevor and Pinky have done this and no doubt others.

May need separate QED map for emissions, but what a fantastic car ! For a couple of £K this could be SVA'd.

Best regards

Anthony,

I think it would need a Cat, new wiring loom (with lighting wiring), re-dyno to get the emissions correct, and it would probably need lose the cage.

Its priced as it is because getting it road legal would be so expensive.

Cheapest option would be to buy a road legal wreck and use all the bits from this car (read: the entire car) to get it back on the road!

Probably not what Peter wants to hear, but if it were road legal it would fetch £30k no problem.

Fat Arn

Slay the K.

I agree - I looked at the costs of SVAing James Fielding (then Mark Collins and now Simon Scott) SLR and the aggro factor was what put me off - don't forget you need a handbrake too. I still can't work out how Tightfart managed to get his SVAd without any visible handbrake...or MOTd for that matter.

Pinky's car was already road reg'd wasn't it? Alan Maynard owned it before him and I'm sure it was on a "Q" - having said that I think Nick was planning to get iu registered with an age related plate.

Hi, sure Pinky will be in touch soon, however, a lot of work required to convert racer ( even with Q plate ! ) into SVA. Recall handbrake required, but chassis fittings in place so no real drama.

I know some of this as I took car for SVA first time round and small number of tasks ( including re-doing emissions ) to get fixed.

Most of the issues are detailing of fixings, getting emissions right and checking mirrors etc compliant, cable tidying etc etc. Getting exhaust with cat etc is not a big issue - perhaps there is one out there which can be "rented" from blatchatter.

Running two maps will of course enable MOT test to be undertaken painlessly.

Cages are OK - PROVIDING they do not restrict visibility of mirrors. No reason why cage cannot come off for the test, although I appreciate this is a chore to get back in.

No doubt there are boxes of SVA compliant fittings/steering wheels etc sitting on peoples shelves as they have swapped them out after the test.

None of it is impossible, just takes time and effort, but given spec of this car, would make ideal candidate for SVA I suspect. If anyone is able to build a Caterham, doing these mods in a logical manner with external support for example mapping should not be an issue

Just imagine this car in road trim ...fantastic. At 21K + say 3K max for SVA, that is quite a car !

Edited by - Anthony on 4 Feb 2004 07:28:01

I took the drive shafts out of my crossflow and fitted them to the SLR for the SVA. complete with the hubs brakes etc. The holes are all in the chasis for the handbrake so I swaped that as well. As for the MOT I didn't need one for the SVA but I did have the original certificate of newness.