Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New Gearbox Choices

Clay Head

I have a SPR XF 1800 with a Kent 254 cam coming in around 5000rpm and want to move from the standard Ford 5 speed box to something with a longer first gear (but not too long to pull!) and closer ratios to help keep the engine on the boil. Does anyone have an opinion on the 6 speed Caterham box vs others in terms of performance and value and if so what alternatives are available out there? (I have a standard 3.92 Ford LSD diff)

Ok, so now I've realised that there has been much discussion about this in the past (discovering the scroll down button helped!). However, does anyone have a view on the 6 speed vs something like the SPC 5 speed. My only concern is that first may be too long on the 5 speed and I will lose out on acceleration

There are various different 1st gear ratios you can use, starting from about 2.48 up to 2.04. Companies that make these gear kits include Tran-X, Quaife, SPC (they use modified Quaife bits I believe) and BGH.

Brian Hill (BGH) designed and built the Caterham 6 speed box and he's probably worth speaking to directly. Can't lay my hands on his number right now but when I find it I'll post it here.

I had a very similar spec car about 4 years ago. I took the route of fitting a shorter final drive in conjuction with modified ratios in the 5 speed box. I used a 4.1:1 diff and in the box I had quaife straight cut gears with I think a 2.4:1 first gear.

I still run the same car but now with a modified 264 cam, a 4.4:1 diff and 2.04:1 first.

IMHO I believe this to be a better way to go than to change to a 6 speed box and standard diff, which is probably geared to pull 160mph at max revs.

For both the Diff and Gearbox work/advice try Phil Stewart at Road and Racing Transmissions on 01959 525105

Tim,

I don't like the sound of this!

Looks like you're getting worried about keeping up after my Winter SPC gearbox upgrade.

I hope you're not going to force me to spend even more money-remember it took me 6 months to persuade Kath the new gearbox was a better investment than a conservatory.

Paul

Brian Hill designed the Caterham Six speed which has since had many retrofit mods to make it reliable!!!

His helocal 5 speed c/r's were very questionable - built with welded gears!

The expert in the south on all gearbox stuff is Phil Stewart at Road Race Transmissions. He also is very resonable on pricing. RRT are on 01959-525105.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Thanks for advice. I spoke to Phil today and he was helpful (he as a 7 himself). he has 2 options- a clubman spec £725 and heavy duty spec £925 (with rollers under the gears). I've got around 170BHP and rev to 7200. Anybody running the clubman spec with this sort of performance with no problems as Phil said I was sort of in between the 2?

I'm not sure about the heavy duty spec, is it the one with the needle roller bearings? I don't have the needle roller bearing spec box and my X-Flow engine runs to 8500rpm and produces about 185bhp. The box that I have works fine for me. Obviously wether the box is durable for somebody else depends on the level of mechanical sympathy they have for their car. The best way to destroy the baulk rings is to hurry changes!