Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty tech question

not a Postman Pat

As it happens, my car had a flat battery today (it was supposed to be going to have an electrical prob sorted, but is still in my garage)- so I've borrowed a charger from a mate.

I have 2 questions for the technical gurus in the sheds *cool*

1> Where is the 3 point socket, to plug it into, located in my seven? *confused*

2> Why does it have 2 nipple clamps attached to the charger? (and why is one red and the other black??)

I know that you will be able to help, so thanks in advance

owelly said: Its a bloke called Terence who works in a pub.

- Took me a while but I'm there now - Bar Terry. Just that with my northern upbringing, battery is 'bat - rry'

Doh 😬

Edited by - chrisd on 12 Jan 2004 18:51:57

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can help - they don't call me Battery Man for nothing *wink*

1> You need to drill three holes in the floorpan on the passenger side (an 8mm drill bit should do), in the shape of a triangle - the plug goes in there

2> The nipple clamps are for your passenger, to save them from being electrocuted. The black one goes on the left buttock, the red on the right. Think of it this way - black has the letter l in it, so that goes on the left, red has the letter r, which is also in the word starboard, which everyone knows is the correct ['right', if you will] side to exit a train.

Hope this helps *cool*

Pat and his not quite black and white cat

Owelly - a clever disguise - if it wasn't for the fact your moustache started to slip I wouldn't have recognised you.

Ahhh Pat you have made the classic mistake of the junior mechanic - you forgot to fill the whole cockpit area with water to encourage the conductivity of electricity and keep the driver clean.

I look down at the lot of you as I was a former Allegro owner - I know, you're right you are lucky that I talk to you. But it's only because you amuse me in your funny little cars that I actually visit here. Oh yes before you ask the Allegro was in the very fashionable and much sort after snot green colour with brown and orange go faster stripes. *tongue*

😬

Boonie - a soul mate, I too used to own an Allegro, but mine was blue with a STRIPE! and it was an HLS - which I think means that its high quality steering wheel was not only square, but also a slightly nicer plastic! *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

G 4 Geoff

GTD - *thumbup* But why did you turn your back on such a prestigous car for a Caterham *confused* 😬

Mine was a super something 1.3 - with a massive roll back roof. I wrote mine off and rebuilt it using parts from a Vanden Plas. But finally it went to the great scrapyard in the sky and my girlfriend at the time drank the profits from it before I got to see her.

That car had more things go wrong with it than any other car I have owned.

Mine was my parent's old one, acquired from them when my MG Midget rusted to death! My mate at school had an Allegro Equipe! That was very fast (he thought at the time!) Mind you mine was 1500 cc, which for a lad from St Helens was quite posh!

Sadly the Allegro broke down terminally one day - and convenient as ever it was right in the middle of the Heathrow access tunnel - so if you missed a flight in circa 1988 because some numpty's car was stuck in the tunnel, well it was me!!!

G 4 Geoff

Edited by - GTD on 13 Jan 2004 11:30:57

Blimey Boonie! Where to start - I've had a Fiat Panda, Vauxhall Nova, Citroen AX, Mini Cooper (early 90's model, not the BMW jobbie), Freelander, BMW Coupe. None lived up to the ☹️ much lamented square-steering-wheeled beauty OOM 639X!!!

And none of them have caused me as much disturbed thought as the 'what and when do I upgrade my Caterham'? Mrs GTD has got me working out a spreadsheet of the costs of 2004 - including dry sump, race entries, petrol.... YIKES!!! *eek* *eek* *eek* I wonder what happened to my Panda? *wink*

G 4 Geoff

Edited by - GTD on 13 Jan 2004 11:47:08

(na)PP

I'm a numpty

I had a look at RHOcar. There's more to life than knowing which end of a spanner is up *confused*

Anyone in any doubt about the sort of people who post here should read the Hamster Gone Missing thread - I've been laughing out loud & crying in the office - got some very funny looks 😳

Ooo - sorry - I nearly got on my soap box then *eek*

You can have mine Moomin - I either have to do them up or get rid of them. I bought them as a project after breaking up with a girlfriend about 5 years ago...unfortunately me and friend managed to strip one completely started work on it then I found another girlfriend...so suddenly I had other things to do.