Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty tech question

not a Postman Pat

Right, I'm going outside to turn the engine over (hasn't been run for a few weeks - just want to check everything is fine while I can move it) and then I'll stick it on axle stands.

It' s blowing a blooming gale as well so I think I'm out of my mind. Watch this space for an update... *confused*

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaargh. *mad*

Where are the best jacking/axle standing points at the rear end?

(Remembering of course that the rear is sitting lower than usual because of the dodgy dampers so it's quite hard to find anywhere that the trolley jack will fit under...)

Hmmm not as clear as I'd hoped.

*Not* the de-dion A frame, I take it? *eek* 😬

There's a bit at the back corners where a couple of tubes come together (and there is an additional flat bit of metal attached) is that the right place?

hello, long time no speak... *smile*

and the answer is yes, option 2, where the a-frame meets the chassis, but be careful not damage anything (like c21vhpd's). might be wise to put something twixt jack and chassis - i.e. some wood.

also if you need to get a leg-up to get the jack under, push the rear wheels onto something, some bricks or wood would be ideal.

good luck, see you back here soon!

edited to add disclaimer: remember, I don't have a Cateringvan, but I have groped around a few.

moomin

www.megabird.co.uk

Edited by - moomin on 7 Jan 2004 13:58:11

Well, it's up on the stands (front and back) and has been put back to bed for the moment.

I'm still not 100% sure that they're in the right place - the rear stands are on the actual de-dion/chassis mounting point (round bit that's a touch lower than the rest of the chassis tubes)

Dunno why I'm paranoid like this - the car spent an entire winter on the stands a couple of years ago and I didn't get worried then...

Just imagine what I'll be like when it comes to unbolting things! *eek*

Evening all *cool*

Update: I've not done it yet, as I am getting home when it is too late and too dark for me to be able to see anything in the midst of the prickly bush 😳 will need to wait for the weekend.

In the meantime, I have been meeting some very nice hens though - that Chicken Licken is a saucy minx, isn't she *wink*

Pat and his not quite black and white cat