Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty tech question

not a Postman Pat

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have changed batteris which usually means a child can do it. As long as you remember what goes where it's usually a case of buying the right one - undo the screws/ bolts holding the wires to the terminals (remember which one is positive etc) Then undo the restraining clamp, device, sonic screwdriver thingie - then take the battery out, put new one in and reverse the procedure.

This will mean your radio may need re-coding though. A tip here is be really sure of what the code is and how you put it in. Mrs B learnt the hardway as everytime she got it wrong it doubled the time it took before you could have another go. In the end we had to wait about a week before she could do it right. *tongue* 😬

Funnily enough the battery on our Nissan Primera also died recently and I replaced it myself. If I can do it (and I'm a mechanical numpty) then anyone can.

Random points -

Always disconnect the live connection last and reconnect it first (basic, but it's about the level of my mechanical knowledge 😬 )

If it's a Nissan radio/tape/CD thing like ours then it'll be a four digit code required, three tries are allowed and then it locks for an hour. The code is supplied on a small (credit card-ish sized) bit of card which I finally found tucked inside the owner's manual.

If you want any more pointers then let me know *thumbup*

*wink*

Don't worry, you're at about my level 😬

The live one is the + and on our Primera has a red plasticy/rubbery cover covering the terminal and the first 2-3 inches of the wire - and if you've got the same model we have then the live is the closest to the engine, negative is closest to the wing (the bit of bodywork that goes around the wheel 😬 😬 )

The bonnet is the big flappy piece of flattish tin that keeps the engine dry. The engine is the oily thing under the bonnet. The battery is the battery looking thing under the bonnet and next to the engine. 😬 😬

If you dont have the code for the stereo you can use a pp9 (9volt) battery attached to a couple of crocodile clips to fasten to the positive (red) (+) battery lead and the earth (car body/engine)(-) BEFORE you remove the leads to maintain power to the radio memory. Or if you have a fag lighter socket plug you can attach the pp9 to and plug it into the dash mounted fag lighter socket (with power to the socket ie first turn of the key to aux position) wich does the same as the croc clips. I'm tired and rambling (nude through Whitby *eek*) *confused* *confused* *thumbup*

savin up to be eccentric. but for now, i'll just be stupid...

It's only a b*gger on cars like:

i) Certain ferraris (AFAIK)

ii) Renault Meganes (you have to dissemble part of the scuttely bit* to get at it.

*Yooooou knooooow - the bit with the vents in front of the windscreen around the wiper area (not 🙆🏻, you understand *mad*) - the scuttely bit

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

naPP - while you've got the bonnet up, why not change the front ARB, toe-in and get those corner weights really sorted. In a Primera the approved way of doing this is:

Less weight at the back - move the travel rug off the back shelf, shovel out the sweet wrappers from the ashtrays and put the mapbook away

More weight at the front - fill up the box of tissues in the passenger footwell, and if absolutely necessary wash the mud of the front wings.

*thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

G 4 Geoff

Edited by - GTD on 6 Jan 2004 13:18:24