Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wipers not working

Delberts Wallet

My wipers don't work ☹️

I've checke the fuse and that is OK, now I've tried checking the switch but I'm not sure what should happen to what pins when the switch is pressed. I guess there is some kind of controller for the wipers which could be up the spout? or the moter itself?

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport

What age is your car 🤔

My 97 car has a controller, for Intermitant wipe, but not sure its fitted to later cars.

The Motor is normaly bomb proof (in classic minis), but I have known the parking switch (attached the the motor) to fail.

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Ok so apart from fuses and connections you have

Wiper switch

Wiper controller

Wiper Park switch

and

Wiper Motor

The Motor has three wires going to it which come off the park switch. take the wires off the park switch (take a not of where they go) one wire is earth, the other two are the speeds, apply 12v to a speed wire and earth and the motor should run. (is suspect it will). Then get a park switch/wiper switch from the breakers yard from a classic mini (pre 98), and test them in turn. If all this fails to cure your problem then I would suspect the controller.

If you are local I have a simular spec car you might like to test your parts on my car. I would not be happy testing my controller on another car just incase the wiper motor is blowing the controller.

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Don't forget the drive shaft for the wipers - mine broke a while back. Can identify this by listening for any motor noise when the switch is used. On mine the motor was quite happily whirring back and forth but there was no drive getting to the wipers.

E.

71560 miles and counting... but knackered alternator ☹️

The wiper control box is NOT a relay. It is about the size of a box of cigarettes and is black with two leads going into it. Unplug these leads and connect them together. IIRC the box is above and left of the fuse box as looking from the passenger seat. Did mine a few years ago so my memory may be failing slightly. If you want to remove a few ounces of copper and can reach, the lead from the main loom can be plugged into the wiper motor direct and the extension from the control box removed altogether as well as the control box itself (4 small screws through the bulkhead - I replaced the screws afterwards to maintain the water tight connection).

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!