Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tonneau at speed

Pierre Gillet

I wished I would rather talk about a "tonneau

(barrel) of wine! But tonight I would like to share with you my experience of using a half tonneau at speed. Over 140 km/h the popper close to the zip and the windscreen cannot stand the air pressure, and opens up.

Any recommendation other than obviously slowing down?

Cheers,

Pierre

There are "locking" poppers available that require the top portion to be "lifted" in order to release the snap. they are a direct replacement.If you cannot find them, leave a message here and I will email info to you. A local marine supply house should be a good start.

Greg

Triva quiz then:

How do we get our tonneau, a flat cover, from Pierre's 'barrel of wine' ?

It looks like a french word, I always supposed it to mean flat cover in french, we now find it means barrel of wine... I don't see the connection.

Thoughts ?

My dictionary gives the following:-

tonneau (`t„nÂ…) n., pl. -neaus or -neaux (-nÂ…, -nÂ…z)1. Also called:tonneau cover.a. a detachable cover to protect the rear part of an open car when it is not carrying passengers.b. a similar cover that fits over all the passenger seats, but not the driver's, in an open vehicle.

2. Rare. the part of an open car in which the rear passengers sit.[C20: from French: special type of vehicle body, from Old French tonnel cask, from tonne tun]

Which explains it allteeth.gif

Dave H

You got it Dave. Probably the way this part of old carriages was constructed using "tonneau" fabricators technique (our ancestors, the Gallic, were already mastering this technique, in this time to store..."cervoise" as drunk by Asterix (kind of rustic beer)!!!

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

In an attempt to fix the problem ( the half tonneau blows off at high speed), I am envisaging adding a third popper on the scuttle between the two poppers that were riveted by the Caterham factory ( one close to the zip, the second on the side (curved part of the scuttle).

The problem that I see is one that it will be hard to drill a hole because of the windscreen, and two, from past experiences I am concerned to hit a tube of the chassis.

Anyone already done that?

Cheers,

Pierre

In an attempt to fix the problem ( the half tonneau blows off at high speed), I am envisaging adding a third popper on the scuttle between the two poppers that were riveted by the Caterham factory ( one close to the zip, the second on the side (curved part of the scuttle).

The problem that I see is one that it will be hard to drill a hole because of the windscreen, and two, from past experiences I am concerned to hit a tube of the chassis.

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre

Cheers,

Pierre