Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake disc drilling

What's the view on this? Are there any standard patterns or proven layouts?

Many moons ago I drilled my 350LC disks, didn't make any difference but it does look good.

It's just another winter up-grade *confused* If anybody's interested I'll be doing them on a large VMC which will rattle them out at an alarming rate. Whilst it's set, I'd be more than happy to run similar size units (std rear, up-graded fronts) through for a donation to NTL (Not only that, more discs would give me a chance to "Prove" the programme *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*)

Never drill non drilled disks, it causes stresses in the disk which could crack in use. You can replace the standard disks with drilled items, but I have never found a drilled disk for the Caterham uprated disks.

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Back of fag packet calculation. Taking the James Whiting disc as an example, we've got 8 rows of three holes and 8 rows of two in between them. Holes are what, 6mm? That's 0.283 cm^2; 0.311 cm^3 if we assume an 11mm disc. Times 40 holes that's 12.44 cm^3 of metal, which if we take the density of iron at 7.5g/cm^3 means you're looking at roughly 93g per disc.

Personally I'd not take the chance over that level of weight saving. OTOH today I'll be machining off the outer 4.5mm of the rear disc (the bit that the pads don't go anywhere near) which by comparison will net me over 200g/side.

Drilling brake disks is a throwback to the days when it was thought that drilling aided water film dispersal. This was necessary because as anyone who had big Jap bike will tell you, applying the brakes in the wet resulted in a heart stopping delay whilst the pads cleared the water from the surface of the disk. From memory it became popular in the early eighties with the big four Japanese bike makers. In practice it did'nt make a blind bit of difference to stopping distance in the wet or dry as the real issue was the pad compound & disk material.

I've drilled several bike disks both stainless & cast iron purely for cosmetic reasons & never once had a problem. A cobalt drill comes in handy as the stay sharp for a lot longer than the high speed steel variety. The old adage of "measure twice & cut once" is order of the day when doing this as I've seen several botch jobs with odd holes in the wrong place, which totally spoils the effect. After you've done the marking out drill each hole with a small drill 3-4 mm & then re-check that everything looks right. Once you're happy drill the holes to the final diameter using plenty of cutting lubricant (Rocol)& then chamfer the finished hole on both sides to a depth of about 0.25 mm.

😬