Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T - 996 Carrera 2 (or 4)

Mike C.

I'm looking for a really nice 996 C2 or C4, if anyone can assist.

It needs to be:

* Coupe (preferably manual)

* Full Porsche Dealer Service History (prefer a UK supplied car)

* Lowish mileage

* Nice spec (I'm a bit colour sensitive)

* Excellent condition throughout (it will be inspected)

Obviously there are plenty on the market from Official Dealers, independents and private sellers. However, I only intend to keep it for one year so, to minimise depreciation I am looking for a big saving on the typical asking prices.

Mad Manx

• 2 weeks later...

You still own a Clubsport then? I don't recall you being a 964RS owner though, so what's the other 2 seater?

Wait another year or so and buy one when the residuals are hit by the 997.

Have you seen the debate on PCGB re opening the forum up to non-members?.....now where have I heard that before.....

Mark

M471 2.7RSL #1528 in Blood Orange.

Actually, I've ordered a 997 for 2005, but need the 996 in between. So, yes, prices will fall hence my requirement to buy well now. Apparently, the 996C4, C4s and turbo will continue in production whilst the 997 C2 is phased in.

Mad Manx

You lucky, lucky man - that must be just about the last off the line eh - so lhd I'm guessing? When I think back to 1986 when I bought my SC - could have had an RS for the same money (£6k).

I do know where there's an ex Almeras Bros RS lurking and I think it's about time I started to negoitate over its purchase 😬

Henry Firman's been buying in a few 996s recently - have you checked out 911virgin.com?

Mike's car would appear to be a German delivered car about 60-70 cars before production ceased.

The colour code would have been 232311 which appears to be Tangerine, in which 126 cars were made (the 5th most popular RS colour).

The options on his car should be a heated rear window and a limited slip diff, fitted at a cost of 800DM in 1973 !!!

Amazing how accessories have always been an earner!!!

What a fab car

😬 *thumbup*

Very good, Julian. You've obviously invested in the Gruber Konradshiem book.

The car was the fifth from last M471 lightweight and is in original specification/condition, although it has had periodic restoration work. I bought it several years ago after originally looking for a rhd 2.7RST. I was then advised to look for the best 'lightweight' I could afford and Jeff Moyes helped me source this one.

It is a brilliant road car and, on the right day, on the right road, it is terrific fun- amazingly crisp throttle response, beautiful steering, and a hugely rewarding chassis.

Mad Manx

Julian....I knew that most of the later cars were tourings and given the high chassis number of this car - I thought it must have been one of the last lightweights off the line. Must admit that I thought it would have been blood orange - I don't think I've ever seen a "tangerine" 911 at all!

I don't own the Konradsheim though - so all this from memory - Mike, what's John Starkey's "From RS to RSR" like? I've always fancied a copy of that...

'Tangerine' was the factory name, but everyone always referred to it as 'Blood Orange' (Butzi Porsche's favourite colour for the 911). Gulf Orange is quite a bit lighter.

My car has the black script and black/silver Fuchs (7s & 8s), although I currently run it on 6s & 7s.

The Starkey book (272 pages) is very good as it contains additional technical information and records the race history of a lot of cars, but seems expensive compared with the GK book.

Mad Manx

Not quite. The trouble with buying used is finding a car that meets all the right criteria (colour, mileage, spec, history, price etc).

Interestingly, my local Official Centre (Lovetts Swindon) have been really helpful and they have a nice C2 coming in this weekend that may fit the bill.

Mad Manx