Click here if you are having website access problems ×

what group will an R400 be in?

noddy

Thanks, do you have any view on which would be the best group to enter as a complete novice 🤔 Or will it make no difference *confused* I assume that I can drift from one group to another during the year, is that the case 🤔

R400 .......... I love it

As a novice , just get out have fun and enjoy the atmosphere and the day .

Whatever your times you will always have another driver in close contention with you .

The only thing I would suggest is that as a novice , the 1b tyres offer more grip , so the potential to have a 'moment' could be lower . Or you may simply crash whilst going faster *confused* *wink*

come out and enjoy yourself *thumbup* 😬 *cool*

• Area Representative

I'd agree with Dave, that the important thing is to:-

just get out have fun and enjoy the atmosphere and the day

As I said in a previous post

Whilst some class 2 cars are alleged to have up to 180bhp, the August winner was an Academy (115bhp) race car running the Academy (not very sticky!) control tyres.

I would urge all novice sprinters to have a go! If you spend loads of money and are totally uncompetitive you're likely to be very dejected!

It's more important to learn the courses than have loads of power.

I'd add that, if you're competitive without making any changes to the car, you may not need to make any changes!

Noddy,

I agree with Richard/Dave - the fun factor is what counts.

If you are thinking of entering the Lotus 7 Club Speed Championship in 2004 (9 events over several venues - best 5 scores to count) then clearly you need to decide on one class - either 4 or 5 before registering for the championship.

There were several novices in Classes 4 and 5 last year - all of whom I am sure enjoyed themselves. I would suggest that for minimum additional expense up front you go with whichever class the standard R400 tyres put you into (What are the tyres and if you don't have a Blue Book I will let you known which class?!).

Brian

Trainee Clerk of the Course

• Area Representative

ACB10's are also list 1b.

If you want to be ultra competitive, you'll need the soft A24 compound ACB10's.

But they don't last very long!

I'm trying very hard to wear out my list 1a Bridgestone RE720's. They're supposed to be better once worn down to 4mm or less. Mine at 3K miles are still only down to 6mm ☹️

Thanks for all the info, I had already guessed that whatever group I end up in there will be less quick machines going faster than me I am happy to get myself into things slowly and will race against myself ........... BUT NOT FOREVER *cool*

R400 .......... I love it

I would like to find out more about the Lotus 7 Club speed Championship 2004 with a view to competing in this alongside my 2004 Acedemy campaign. I have only just sent my Lotus 7 club membership so only know what I see on this site. Can anyone help ?.

Old Timer

Richard, Many thanks for the swift reply.

Whilst not wishing to trouble you further there are a few questions ;-

1, It would appear that my recently completed 2004 Academy car will be eligible for class 1 my only query is tyres List 1A ?.

2, Regarding the roll cage, it has the latest 2004 version with lowered floor etc. will this comply with safety requirements ?.

3, Given the above can be resolved how do I enroll ?.

Old Timer

Old Timer,

Your Academy car is eligible for class 2/3 depending on tyres, rather than class 1 (K series have twin camshafts). What tyres do Academy cars have now? This will determine if you are in Class 2 or 3.

I assume the roll cage does not have the lowered floor but the car itself! Given that the Academy cars will have to meet full race requirements there should be no problems with the Sprint Championship.

The 2004 Championship Registration form and the Regs are not yet published. I understand Graham (Lotus 7 Club Competition Secretary aka Bacon Butty on here) will be publishing them in Low Flying in the next month or so.

I did the old Caterham Scholarship in 1998. Great fun - enjoy yourself.

Brian