Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series Verniers......why???

martinwhitcher

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can quite safely say that if you have a supersport 1.4,1.6 or 1.8, your cams will NOT be correctly timed!! therefore verniers are required! *thumbup*

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Superlight No.171

God, i should be on commission for piper, look what i started *eek*, (Oily i'll be in contact soon to talk over the super K construction *wink*)

Edited by - Martin Whitcher on 15 Jan 2004 20:13:04

Thanks very much for the offer Oily, but the car is in bits in Wiltshire ATM. I think I am going to take Tony C's advice and buy a pair of analogue gauges to determine the current timing.

Martin - my engine is not a K-series (another twincam), but since it has some pretty aggressive cams and is using the stock pulleys, I imagine there definitely be scope for improvement.

Out of interest, what criteria is Dave Andrews using to suggest inlet/outlet timing? My Vernier supplier has a big list of numbers (in addition to the cam profile characteristics) he wants before giving me timings to try - for example, choke size, intake manifold length, exhaust dimensions/size/4-2-1 or 4-1, compression ratio, head work that has been done.......

Cheers *thumbup*

😬 RESULT 😬 Fitting vernier cam sprockets and accurately setting the cams is WELL worth doing - and then some *thumbup*

Noticeably improved performance from the mid rev range (4000 rpm) upwards - and no downside *thumbup*

If you're hesitating - go for it 😬

*thumbup* Thanks for all your help Oily *thumbup*

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Edited by - Tony C on 17 Jan 2004 15:46:25