Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series Verniers......why???

martinwhitcher

After much toying with the idea, I rang Dave Andrews, who kindly supplied my with 1no set of nice red vernier pulleys and a new cam belt!

So after much checking of existing setting, I bravely followed Dave's excellent guide on his website.

I have a 1600cc K-Series supersport EU3 engine with powerspeed exhaust.

Now the factory setting was as follows :

Inlet Cam: 18thou lift TDC

Exhaust Cam: 69thou lift TDC

Dave suggested setting:

Inlet Cam: 70thou lift TDC (yes 52 thou out!!!)

Exhaust Cam: 60thou lift TDC (slightly out)

I have ended up with:

Inlet: 67thou lift TDC

Exhaust: 62thou lift TDC

Results are very impressive!!!

I managed to get out today to see/feel?? the results.

The weather was umm.....glum, but not raining.

I warmed the engine up and went for a blast, oh my god, mid range was fantastic compared to before, you do not find yourself waiting for the revs to build-up anymore......

*eek* *tongue* 😬

Highly recommended to any K-Series engine without them, you will not regret it.

Does beg the question, why aren't the caterhams with supersport converstions come with better timed pulleys??

Can't be put down to cost again can it?

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Superlight No.171

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dial gauges are best bought from J &L Industrial supply (0800 58 00 58), they regularly have cut price offers on digital and analogue gauges (digital for the valve lift, analogue to establish TDC). I have a pattern for the gauge brackets which I could make available for those that wish to make their own.

I have organised many bulk buys in the past but now I am a commercial enterprise that would not be wise. I'm happy to advise on possible vendors.

Oily

does anyone know what sort of price the dial guages (and any other tools?) might be?

definitely up for the challenge of fitting it myself but by the time you add in the cost of buying everything + tools + skin off knuckles it might just be easier to take it to a garage....

...although i do enjoy taking the skin off my knuckles 😬

my first blat here !

Dave,

If you can fire details over to me I'll look at organising the bulk buy. It will be a straight forward, one model option (for the guages) so as not to make it difficult to arrange. Suppose I need to talk you you about the Verniers too Dave.

Cheers

Martin

bulkbuy@mavmobile.freeserve.co.uk

Edited by - mav on 31 Dec 2003 12:31:24

Oily - is accurately timing the standard cams using verniers on a 1.8 EU3 K-Series also worth doing?

I assume that the gain will be mainly in efficiency, rather than a substantial jump in performance.

Tony

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)