Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting a stalled R500

Gridgway

not sure about the used to start airplanes bit. It's all to do with voltage. If the charagteristics of the battery are to produce a big cranking current, but at a voltage of 9.2 it'll only start certain engines. Eg my old vaux Viva that had a 6v coil and ballast resistor. So it would deliver 9.2v to the coil when cranking whic hwould be plenty for starting.

Graham

well boys and girls I have tried with a banner battery. This seems to give about 9.4v cranking voltage (which by all accounts is not enough).

Surprise, surprise the prob has gone away. So anyone any thoughts? Is the voltage a red herring? Is there some fault which is diminishing the voltage (I measured it on the batt terminals), or is it something else?

Maybe the R500 is only designed to be driven, then stopped for a rest!!!

I'll be trying jason's spare battery next!

Graham

Edited by - gridgway on 8 Apr 2001 21:58:17

aaahhhh there is a flaw in my previous post! I meant to say that the problem has NOT gone away! I spent an interesting sunday afternoon not frightenting old ladies, but feeling inadequate looking at my engine not knowing how to get it started!

I have installed the proper batt tray and battery. But have ano Hawker kindly lent by Jason Krebs to try.

What a pain, looks like tuesday at Castle Coombe is off.

Graham