Click here if you are having website access problems ×

reverse light switch

fordy

when I fitted the new engine last year, I killed the reverse light switch on the gearbox as I removed it all from the car. I tried to fix it (bodge) but it didn't work. Anyway Its MOT time now so I need to sort it. I bought a new reverse light switch from caterham.

Confused though, as the old switch seemed to have only one wire into the switch (by a peculiar pressstud arrangement, possibly an earlier bodge by previous owner) while the new shiny switch has two large bullet style connectors coming out of the end.

The wiring diagram suggests 2 wires into and out of the switch. So wheres my missing wire? I tried existing wire into the new switch and then onwards to earth but that didn't work. Not surprised when I thought about it mullinh over the wiring diagram.

Desperately want to sort its MOT as I haven't driven it since the Rumble.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Fordy,

My '98 car was delivered at the time of the changeover and came with a short earthing wire and connector to attach to the second pin - you have connected it correctly. I suggest there is a fault somewhere. Reversing lights usually work by having the live feed going directly to the bulb then back to the switch - selecting reverse simply puts this to earth.

I would check you have live at the original switch wire (with ignition on). If not, check for live at the lamp unit and the bulb itself. If you have live at the switch wire check the switch itself or the earth.

Ian

But it can be useful;

a) when going backwards in a dark place

b) to indicate to muffins in car parks that 'yes it goes backwards without pushing as well'

Surely the must work if fitted rule applies.

If I remember correctly, on the reverse lamp circuit, the switch is on the earth side. Touch the lead to earth and see if the light comes on. If so it sounds like you need to add a separate earth wire to this switch i.e. existing wire to one pin, earth to the other.

The original switch (1 pin) would have earthed through the body of the switch.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Edited by - Mr Locust on 29 Dec 2003 22:54:08

Fordy

Assuming it's the same as my now gone '98 car the switch supplies the 12v not an earth sadly (I wouldn't have blown so many fuses if it was an earth) it should have two wires going to it, one from a 12v feed and the other goes to the positive of the Reversing light. The switch doesn't have or need an earth

Mark

What about getting on the phone to Caterham and having a bit of talk about this, or go to your friendly local Ford dealer and buy the switch from them, earlier cars only used one wire to the switch and this indeed had a press stud fitting, this made the circuit when reverse is engaged, ie the reversing lights came on, later cars are wired in a safer manner, so that the switch makes the +ve line, or so I believe, supplying 12v to the lamps which are earthed somewhere at the rear of the car, I think the rearranged wiring came about from some awful fire incident at a Caterham race, where the stupid idea of having a permanent +ve supply to the reversing lamps caused the ignition of fuel in a rear end shunt, I may be wrong here, but it's still a daft idea, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

• Leadership Team

Fordy - I think your cars a similar era to mine - '95 1400? If so the reverse light switch switches the negative - there is a permanent positive feed to the light, unlike the rest of the rear lights which are switched on the positive. And yes it does have a press stud arrangement, accessed through the rubber-plug-capped hole in the transmission tunnel near your left knee. Probably a much easier job to source the correct switch.

BTW, mine had unknowingly become disconnected last time I messed with the engine - traced it to the press stud and reconnected ready for the MOT. When it came to the test, it wasn't checked! Obviously I asked about the reversing light / MOT situation (knowing full well that it now worked fine!) and I was told that the reversing light is not part of the test! Might be worth giving your test centre a call before going down - could give you more time to sort the problem?

Stu.