Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1600 Vauxhall Oil

atoner

Sorry, no offence meant. I know some people have incorrectly marked dipsticks, or "normal" dipsticks in modified/shallow sumps, so I wasn't taking the p.......(muchwink.gif)just trying to ascertain what the state of play was before making further comment. There has been some discussion recently concerning sump capacity and dipstick length and markings. A search of the archives may well find you some answers.

Edited by - Blatman on 4 Apr 2001 09:16:16

My car took 4 litres (to top of dipstick). I changed the filter, so without that loss expect a little less - though the filter is v. small.

When draining the oil I left it a long time (over an hour) while oil slowly dribbled out, I guess because of the foam baffle in the sump. Also had the leftside of the car slightly raised to help it all run out.

I'm not sure if the figure in a Vauxhall manual would be correct because the sump is a caterham fitting.

regards

Jonathan

Yes, it is the replacement for the 1600 x-flow when they ran out of imported engines. Like the x-flow before, it is good for 100hp in basic form and 125hp in 1800 'supersprint'.

IIRC Vauxhall were about to dump a large number of them at sea because of legal requirements for catalytic converters when Caterham offered to take them for mickey mouse money (we'll save you the cost of shipping them into deep waters if you deliver them to Dartford...)

Hence, vx1600 on weber 40's - a stroke of pure genius for Nearn et al.

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 4 Apr 2001 14:26:10

As Jonathan says approx 4 litres.

With my car I used to fill up to the top of the dipstick and then add a little more. If after taking the car for a reasonable blast none had been thrown out into the catch tank I would keep adding a little more .... until oil started to be thrown out into the catch tank. A bit wasteful perhaps - but it works!

Brian