Click here if you are having website access problems ×

These may be daft questions, but...

Alias

a) What is the difference between class 2 and class 3 except for the tyres?

b) In both classes it says that a 1400K can run, + other twin cam engines. I presume this means that 1600Ks can run in these classes too (although they're not specifically mentioned). Is this the case?

Thanks.

One car - 1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

There is no difference between 2 & 3 apart from the tyres. Tyres do make a very large difference indeed. You can typically use Avon ACB10's and the softest road legal yoko's so times in class 3 can be 2-3 seconds quicker than class 2

Yes, twin cam engines above 1400 can be used. I cannot remember the exact wording for 2004 but effectively a 16 valve twin cam engine up to 1800 can be used provided that it uses the standard production inlet plenum. This effectively maximises power to about 170-180 hp. As soon as you add throttle bodies to a 16 valve engine or go over 1800 then you go up to class 4.

We usually have an annual 'barny' on here at seasons end about the class structure, that has become something of a club tradition 😬

Edited by - Graham Perry on 27 Dec 2003 12:56:41

The regs state the car must be road legal for class 1-5 so I presume that later cars must run with cats fitted rather than non standard exhausts or cat bypasses?

But is this likely to get picked up by the scrutineer?

Only if somone protests *smile*

• Area Representative

I think we some times get quite wrapped up in technical specifications and regulations.

Its worth considering that the times, particularly around a track like Curborough, are all quite close.

In the August club sprint at Curborough the class 4 winner was some 2.2 seconds quicker than the class 2 winner, but the class 4 car makes over 100bhp more!

Running with or without a cat is unlikely to make a significant time difference.

Whilst some class 2 cars are alleged to have up to 180bhp, the August winner was an Academy (115bhp) race car running the Academy (not very sticky!) control tyres.

I would urge all novice sprinters to have a go! If you spend loads of money and are totally uncompetitive you're likely to be very dejected!

It's more important to learn the courses than have loads of power.

Going back to class eligibility, in 2004 1.8k's will be allowed into class 2 and 3. I don't feel that this imposes any threat to the established class 2 and 3 runners, but gives them some chance rather than no chance of good class placings. If they get good class placings, they'll be doing it with driver ability rather than a significant performance advantage.

Have a go! The club sprints a great social events as well as sporting events!