Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shift Light Mounting

Ferrino

I have now wired up my Omex Sequential shift lights and am now posed with the problem of how to get the LEDs (see the 4 LEDs at the bottom of this picture) onto the scuttle without any major metal butchery or cable exposure. Any ideas/piccies would be great!

Rather than sending the entire LED box through the scuttle, would it be possible to chop the cable which leads into it, send this through, and then rejoin the wires just under the scuttle? I guess this would still require a hole, but I'm sure I read somewhere that others have routed wires through one of the popper holes at the centre of the scuttle?

Thanks *cool*

Tony

There's no reason why you can't chop the wire and rejoin underneath. Preferably solder and heat shrink for a job that will last.

A second thought - does the Omex LED box come apart? If yes, then you could desolder the wires from within the box, pass them through and resolder, thereby avoiding any new joints whatsover.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

• 2 weeks later...
does the Omex LED box come apart?

Unfortunately the LED box seems pretty well sealed. I think I might go down the 'cut and join' route, as cutting a hole in the scuttle which will allow me to pass the entire box through will look naff.

• 1 year later...
How did you mount the shift lights in the end?
I never got round to to mounting it properly, Guy. I temporarily fastened it to the scuttle with some velcro to experiment with different positions (matron!!!), but by the time I was ready to mount it permanently I had started the rebuild and flogged it (new dash display has integral shift lights).

If I was going to mount it now, I would probably try to fix them to the steering wheel - although this would only really be worth it if you had other steering wheel controls, and some free wires on the connecting cable. Failing that, I would do the above and cut the cable, pass it through a small hole in the scuttle and then rejoin with a connector of sorts, beneath scuttle.

Lobbying Caterham for a new badge....

Just don't do what I did and mount them on the dash between the speedo and techo, above the indicator light.

Took the car out the following weekend and after about 10 miles remembered I'd fitted them and realised that I couldn't see them; they're completely hidden by the top of the streering wheel!

• Leadership Team

Yes, the LED box does come apart.

I photographed the wiring then I un-soldered everything. Having mounted the bracket on the scuttle, I carefully drilled a 3rd hole throught the mounting bracket and the scuttle for the wiring (IIRC 6mm). I then fed the cable through from below and resoldered teh wiring to each of the LEDs. Be careful because the ngative wire conecting to the first LED also meets the "common" wire joining the LEDs together *eek* Looks very tidy compared to the massive hole needed for the plug, then filled with a grommet the size of a ten-bob-bit 😬

Stu.

as a temporary bodge about 3 years ago, I cut out a small section of the dash on the edge of the hole made by the tacho, big enough for the wire, and fed the shift lights through and the n replaced the tacho, then stuck my shift lights on with the foam pads to the scuttle. So the wire now exits nearthe top of the tacho and goes up the dash to the scuttle IYSWIM *confused*

3 years later and it is still like that 😳

I had always planned to drill a big enough hole and the fit the shift lights thro and cover the hole up with a grommet, one of the many jobs I just never seem to get around to...as it works fine and I try to work to the if ain't broke don't fix it adage, unless of course you are talking upgrades 😬

rob *smile*

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Stu - what bracket comes with these? I thought the LED box was just sticky-pad fixed *confused*

Rob - That sounds like a good plan *thumbup*

Allen - Excellent 😳 I'm sure you're not the only one...

Should arrive on Thursday, so hopefully have a look at fitting them at the weekend...

I presume I can tap into the tacho wiring for the tacho pulse?

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

• Leadership Team

I cut a hole in the scuttle but it is very well hidden by the stanchion so it is not visible.

As the Omex lights need to be properly waterproof, I decided this was a better option than to try to open up the box. Cutting and re-joining the wires seems like a good plan though. Yes, it just tapped into the back of the tacho easily. Nice bit of kit!

I have intentionally mounted mine with velcro because it allows you to alter the angle for night time driving. Those LEDs are very bright otherwise...

Michael.