Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT emissions A new variant on the theme

Tony Martyr

Yesterday I took my pre-SVA modified 1600k SS for its MOT.

I went armed with all the information gleaned from this site, ready to do battle about it only needing visible smoke test.

I operated the car on the ramp and brake test and all was fine, until the horn didn’t work. I had tested it on the way, which was the first time it had been used in a year or more.

Anyway they prepared to do an emission test when I protested and pointed out the relevant clauses in the MOT handbook. The reply was to the effect that they had received a letter on the subject and they considered that this ‘escape clause’ was only applied to ‘Q’ Plated amateur built cars whereas mine has a regular number plate.Has anybody else met this variation or know of any recent official clarification?

We were about to argue this point when the second operator said that it didn’t matter since it passed the emission test at idle. So John Nobles mapping had worked at that point.

The tester added that since I did not have a CAT they couldn't do a CAT test (seemed logical).

I got my MOT certificate. I think it is the horn relay that has gone – probably atrophied through lack of use.

If anyone in East Kent is interested, on Wednesday I took my 1800 Roadsport in to Guilton Forge Garage, Ash. Tel 01304 812630. My 1998 reg car has no CAT, no side repeaters, and it passed without a problem! UK sports, a local Caterham dealer, take all their MOT's there.

• 2 weeks later...
Keith Deering garage at Alfold south of Guilford is another excellent place, Graham the chief tester is a 7 owner and enthusiast (any type of 7 or interesting car) a lot of us sussex 7 owners take our cars there including tintops - highly recommended tel 01403 753298

Hi Tony,

Whether your car has a proper number plate does not make any difference. What does count is what the chassis number identifies it as, Factory, Component or Kit built. If it's either of the last two then it's cclassed as an amateur built car and should only be subjected to visible smoke test. I've just been through all this and it's quite complicated.

There is a Thread called: -

Emissions Tests the Definitive Answer !!

Which goes through the necessary checks.

I also spoke to Caterham, and they can also tell how it was built from the last 5 digits of the chassis number.

Just for the record, next time I'm going to James Whiting, he was really helpful and knows exactly what to do.

cheers

Mike