Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

vernier pulleys and belt set up ?

The Striker

Toying with the idea of doing this myself...is it a DIY job.

I guess what I'm asking is: are there specific timing settings for anyone to follow or is the set-up a trial-and-error rolling road job?

(1.6KSS more or less std)

There are specific settings for your cams and it is a fairly straightforward DIY job, if you know what you're doing. There is a guide on DVA's 'k series engine' pages, but it does make the job much easier if you know what you're doing. You'll need a couple of dial gauges and some home-made brackets to mount them temporarily to the head while you adjust the verniers.

I'm sure Dave (or someone else) will be along at some point with the lift settings.

If you've not tackled this before or don't feel entirely confident, it would be money well spent having it done. There has been quite a lot of discussion on this topic recently, might be worth having a traul through some of the older posts.

Andy

Bedazzled

You might well wonder to yourself "why are they not timed correctly"? This would be excellent question. The OEM camshaft/pulley arrangement is not adjustable other than by a whole tooth (big adjustment) and that gives a significant margin for error. I guess it is a cost/effort issue. Caterhams run fast whatever, they just run better when timed.

A DVA excursion will remove some money from you wallet ( a lot less than buying it 'over-the-counter mind you!) and you will only be too glad that Dave takes it from you; really!!!

The car will perform much better I'm sure 'cos I don't think I've met ANYONE yet who's been displeased with this upgrade from Dave. *thumbup*

read dave's website and do it yourself. Its fiddly but not too difficult. If you buy all the bits you need it will cost a lot less than a trip to QED and take less time than driving all the way there and back...

(Is this post 100,000 in techtalk 🤔)

HOOPY R706KGU Hoopylight R

Edited by - hoopy on 22 Dec 2003 22:11:19