Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wobbly nosecone

windcheater

having got my car back after some crash repairs, and finall getting the chance to clean it yesterday, I have noticed that the nosecone is quite mobile, for example, it was moving a round a bit when i was leathering it down. seems like theres quite a lot of lateral movement, but as I didn't build the car, and can't find any info on the fitting, i was wondering if this was normal. Don't remember it being that bad before it went in to be repaired, but it does appear to be attached underneath, at the front by what look like 2 screws/bolts. Will have a chance to get it up on stands this weekend, was just wondering if anyone ahd any tips on what to check, and what should be attached to what. Don't really want the nosecone flying off at high speed *eek* *eek*

• Support Team

Nosecone is held on by 4 Dzus fasteners - two at the bottom front corners where the nose sits on 2 lugs on the chassis and two at the top rear that are hidden by the bonnet. mine doesn't move around much when properly attached but there is some movement. The bonnet keeps it more firmly in place.

If the Dzus fasteners have come undone or were not done up properly then that would probably account for the movement.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

good work shaun_E, will have the car up, and see if those are all in place, was just a bit concerned as after the Pre Delivery Inspection, they had still managed to fit a wheel to the front on which the inner rim was bent (my wheels are out of production (prisoners), so i have ex display models from caterham midlands fitted). Still, Simon at Caterham aftersales sorted me out with a motorsport fleece, so that makes up for the minor inconvenience of having to change the wheels over when i got it home!!! *thumbup* *thumbup* 😬

You might have one of the new nose cones that only clips on the top and just sits on the bottom chassis bar. I've got two n-cones and one fits better with the plastic end covers (large SVA nut and bolt covers) on and the other without. But like Shaun_E say's once the bonnets on there shouldn't be that much movement. You can always cover it in fur which has many benefits 😬 😬 😬.

C7 MLE

The Furry Fast Car

In for a penny - in for a rebuild

It may be worth checking the size of the dzus fastners on the upper fixings of your nosecone. There are several sizes available and mine is fitted with (what I would consider) to be smaller than required and allows an amount of movement evident by the amount of slack in the locating tab (the bit with the wire on) something I'm investigating over this winter but have got no further with as yet? *confused*

Puremalt, the hole I was thinking about was that in the steel tab welded to the chassis. Depending on the size of fastner this hole could be 1 of 2 or 3 sizes and a smaller fastner top(the bit that is pop rivetted to the nose cone with the slotted head)could have been fitted. When I say smaller the shank of the fastner has a smaller diameter than that of the corresponding hole in the metal tab on the chassis resulting in a sloppy fix.

Twas just an area to consider and I can't vouch one way or another until I've tried to rectify mine.