Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Moving the Pedals

NeilC

I've just taken the plunge & bought my first Seven. 😬

I'll be collecting it on Friday and need to move the pedals forward as I'm a shorta**e.

Is it true that there are 3 pedal positions? - is it easy to change and does anyone know if/where there are any instructions I can get hold of if req'd?

The car is a 1.6 SV

Thanks

Neil

• Support Team

Yes there are 3 positions - the adjustment can be made by removing the pedal box cover inside the engine bay and then undoing the bolts that hold the pedals. The brake and clutch pedal move as one and the throttle moves on it's own. After moving the pedals you will have to adjust the cables to give the desired travel. When you move the pedals to the postion nearest the driver, you may find that the pedal angle increases to such an extent that you need to raise your foot to use the brake - I have got used to this! You may also find it difficult to adjust the brake pedal - I found that the adjustment was very sensitive and the master cylinder piston was partially pressed in leading to brake rub. It took me a few goes to get it right - the alternative is to cut or file off the end of the master cylinder piston. You will also have to adjust the brake light switch.

Hope that helps

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

I also bought a lumbar support from Halfords - it's about £20 and fits perfectly into the leather seats once you have ripped off the adjuster. My wife still needs an extra cushion though 😬.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

At 5'9'' but on a long cockpit with bench seats I also needed to adjust the pedals to the front setting, but this leaves the pedals at a bit of an extreme angle. Heel and toe impossible etc.

I have just fitted some second hand leather seats (you will find lots for sale on blatchat as people upgrade to tilletts....covet covet covet) and I have put the pedals back to a more central adjustment...much easier to drive now.

L811 VTR BRG/Yellow SuperSport

• 4 weeks later...

I need to do the opposite adjustment to my SV.. ie move the pedals as far away as possible. Does anyone know of any problems associated with this? What tools will I need.

Also, the brake lines seem to be attached to the screws holding the top of the pedal box on. Will this cause me any particular grief?

cheers guys,

Neil

Neil,

No problem removing the pedal box cover. The brake lines should be fitted with 'p' clips that will stay on the lines and just need to be re-secured when replacing the cover.

No special tools required, just a few spanners IIRC.

Steve.

Changed mine to the short 🙆🏻 setting last weekend.

Changing the pedal positions took about 10 minutes, then about the same to adjust clutch and throttle cables for correct bite / feel.

If you are not comfortable, it's well worth a try...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. Now had my first drive (19/12/03 17.10)!

Thought about doing this too. I'm around 5'6 and have the seat as far forward as it will go. I can reach the pedals but it does mean that I'm quite close to the steering wheel (it's as close to the dash as I can get it). I can;t cross my arms/hands when steering round round abouts etc and is a little tricky when the back end steps out

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport

Gareth

Definitely recommend you try it.

I have Tilletts, and whilst the seat wasn't fully forward, I felt too close to the wheel. With the pedals brought forward, I was able to move the seat backwards (much more than the change in the pedal position *confused*) and now sit much more comfortably. Admittedly, I've only driven it in and out of the garage, but the difference was amazing.

Takes 30 minutes tops, so if you don't like it, you can easily change it back. You can also spacer the brake and clutch pedals to gain some more room if you need.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. Now had my first drive (19/12/03 17.10)!

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 7 Jan 2004 16:33:27