Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cleaning the cylinder head

Jason Plato

Dear all ,

My head will be taken off soon for new valve springs ,reshim and a general checkover . 2 years back I took the head to Nick Stagg engineering who fitted new valve guides and did a few other little mods for me , when I went to collect the head it had been cleaned back to absolute pristine condition which then allowed you a full inspection and made a good base for porting .

Is there a way that this can be achieved at home ?? - I imagine commercial companies have a chemical bath or do they simply soak it in something over night , maybe I could use some cleaning chemicals from Machine Mart or such like ? . The hardest bit to clean will obviously be the exhaust ports , I cant see a can of Jizzer being up to the job ? .

Cheers

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 8 Dec 2003 15:38:08

Probably cleaned in an acid bath if it was that clean.

wash it as best possible with Gunk and then polish for a few hours. I've done this several times and I get good results with the first few inches then get bored and give up - what the hell it's going to get dirty in a week or so anyway. (I'm talking about the outside, theface and combustion chamber always like a mirror)

having said that the extirior of mine is extremely clean as I've no iol leaks or even weeps.

norman verona

1989 BDR

I'm no expert on these matters but I normally use one of those rotary polishers to do mine (the type that resemble on electric toothbrush). Works wonders. Please tell me if I'm ruining my head by doing this!

- How can such a cute looking car sound so ferocious! -

Thanks for yur replies so far . I'm not concerned about the ouside face of the head , I just want to clean the ports and chamber for inspection.

So it sounds like soak in jizer and then a steam clean ? unless anyone knows of any other good cleaning agent .

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*