Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First Time...

Mrs GTD

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have to be a blind test - otherwise the believers would find time with the reversed tread and vica versa...

I doubt it will make much difference for a fairly standard car anyway - at Snetterton on my first (and so far) only trackday, the brakes didn't take too long to suffer from heat buildup - and so they became the obvious weak-link.

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

with a little fiddling the brakes can be made to last OK - 4 pots and hotter pads more than do the job (although better brake bias, less weight and better feel are both worthy goals after that)

but yes, a bilnd test would be needed.

eeeek

You'd have to use a flared wing car so you couldn't see the tyres

HOOPY R706KGU Hoopylight R

I was told by Avon to run the tyres backwards due to the way the tyre is made (i phoned them to check out this story because i thought someone was having a laugh), apparently on a hot day and track use the tyre can de laminate. it makes no difference in lap times if you run the tyre backwards or forwards. There is more detail but i wont bore you all with it. *smile*

Sadly Rachael's rain dance didn't work ☹️ - in fact if anything it seemed to encourage the rain, which brought along its friend the wind just to add to the fun. Luckily it wasn't too cold...

So, clad in an all-in-one motorcycle oversuit (people kept coming up to me, sniggering and saying 'we know what you're driving! *eek*) we set off on the parade laps with GTD riding shotgun. It was very useful having a couple of sighting laps at nice low speeds, and I felt pretty happy.

I had signed up for 20 minutes of instruction, and having tracked down Simon the Instructor I was very glad I did! 😬 Miss Mav, Rach, Tam, Ballast, FH and any other girlies I've missed, I would highly recommend Simon as he is very pleasing on the eye *thumbup* 😬

Before my instruction though GTD said he'd take me out as a passenger. He said he'd be pretty circumspect with me in the car because of the extra weight *mad* (BTW I DO NOT weigh 70 kilos!!). After three laps I'd had enough. Sitting on a thin piece of foam, being driven at speed round a damp (puddly) Goodwood circuit, with a few twitchy bits thrown in for good measure was not my idea of a fun thing to do on a Saturady morning. To be honest it put me off a bit, and I began to have doubts about going out with Simon. ☹️ When the car refused to start that pretty much settled it for me, but a few kindly chaps gave Geoff a push start and I was on.

Simon was very reassuring (I highly recommend an intercom - ours is a real cheapy from OMP, but really good) and encouraged me to gradually increase my speed with each passing lap, and was very complimentary and encoraging. The only slightly disconcerting thing was coming round a corner to find a stationary tow-truck in the middle of the circuit ( *eek*) but Simon had spotted it and was able to warn me in good time. A few yellow flags might have been helpful *confused*.

After 8 or so laps the Gods decided to really laugh at Rachael's dancing and the skies opened, so after another lap or so Simon suggested we go in due to poor visibility. To be honest I was struggling to see the cones, mostly due to the amount of rain on the inside of the windcreen. It may have been better if we'd run with doors...?

I can't honestly say I looked like this 😬 when I came in as I'd been concentrating so hard on my lines to really sit back and enjoy the ride, but I did look like this *smile*, and I'm only sorry that it was just too wet to go out again and practice what I'd learned. According to Simon I need to build up my confidence, and some extra practice would have helped.

I'm really glad I did it, and I'll certainly be signing up for future track days. Having instruction from GTD on the parade lap was great, but instruction from a professional was fantastic, as it inspired so much confidence. Seeing the speedo hit 85 (not fast by your collective standards I know) on the start/finish straight was great, and flying along at flat out (for me!) towards the Shell building (don't remember the name of that bit of track) before the corner before the chicane was brilliant.

Thanks for all your tips & advice.

Mrs GTD 😬

Well, why don't you come to Anglesea for a passenger ride....

....then someone can make you green with something else (ps - you'll have to bring your own helmet - I suspect there is a 'you barf in it, you buy it' thing going on with borrowed lids...)

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻