Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ultimate engine ????

Peter T

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you have a powerful high revving engine you will need a high final drive ratio for gearing. Drive shaft torque is prop shaft torque multiplied by final drive ratio, so I don't see how you can win that one. I realise you need a transmission and prop shaft to suit the engine, but that's not a limitation of the Caterham chassis. Various "experts" rate the power limit of the chassis at about 220BHP.

I will be on the road by Christmas. Photos here

I am toying with the idea of costructing an engine for the 7 made out of a number of 0.8cc Cox model aeroplane engines. I reckon a V96 using a light alloy crankcase should give excellent balance and about 20bhp, on nitro.

Therefore 10 of these engines geared together should be just the job. There would be the advantage of no spark plugs and ignition system (glow plugs used), a nice noise, and a distinctive smell.

I havn't worked out the engine mounts yet, or what gearbox to use.

Has anyone tried this, and what performance can I expect?

Dunno where this 220bhp came from .

The chassis *may* need some strengthening around the diff mountings - depending on year . But I would consider 300 bhp and 220 lb torque reasonable .

All I wish for is 1000bhp/ton ☹️

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*

Good thinking Jim, 2 strokes on 20% castor oil are the way forward. Emissions could be tricky. Still, rebuild in minutes, every weekend...

If we are going 2stroke I think the RS250 Aprilia has potential, nice and compact, fantastic specific power, probably need to build a radial 16 2-litre at around 350bhp, crankcase design and overall height could be tricky.

Or one of those marine 2str diesels, the ones that weigh several dozen tons and generate max power at 500 rpm, you can save weight by not needing a gearbox.

For ultimate power I doubt you can't beat an 18 cylinder MAN B&W 2 stroke diesel, 140,000 BHP at 100rpm

See here for the dinky 12 cylinder version:-

http://www.manbw.com/web/engines/TwoStrokeLowSpeedPropEngines.asp?model=K90MC-C&cylinder=12

For ultimate power in a seven then its Cosworth KF V6, 2.5l, 500BHP at ~14000rpm. Ex Calibra DTM. They occasionally appear in Pilbeam Hillclimb cars and I've seen one at Swindons stand at autosport. De-tune it to 350BHP at 10,000rpm and you may just keep most of the wheels in contact with the ground.

Cosworth are just about to launch a high performance version of the Duratec I4. It will probably be shown of at Autosport and then be sold in the Ford SVE parts catalogue mainly in the US.

BC

PeterT: The original owner of my car wanted to install a Cosworth DFV as he'd taken the BDG as far as it would go and wanted more power. He had the money and was prepared to spend it but the company who built and prepared his Cat talked him out of it becasue they were concerned the vibration would crack the chassis tubes.

Are there any V8 Cats around?

Hasn't anyone done a V8 SV yet?

J351 TPE . . . battered old X/Flow

Oddly enough, since this thread started I had a chat with my engine builder and we have kicked off building an 'interesting' engine. Basically half an RX7 block with a turbo on the side. Should produce a minimum of 300HP at 10,000RPM. Engine itself will be cheap to build (very few moving parts), but finding a light and affordable gearbox and diff to couple to it could be a challenge.

May need a smaller car to put it in as as it would get lost in a se7en being less than a foot long.

Adam, as far as i know there is no V8 sevens, but plenty of imitations with V8 power *thumbdown*

Rumours are that a partnership with caterham and a new motorbike derived V8 powerplant is on the cards, which will only fit an SV. 🤔

Founder Member of The Twisted Prop Club.

I thought someone had a V8 in a heavily modded Cat.

He had the engine/box sandwiched around a new bulkhead and the whole front end used the engine as a stressed member for the suspension subframe.

Don't remember where I saw it though. It was ages ago I read about it - before I was into 7s, so I may be mistaken.

J351 TPE . . . battered old X/Flow