Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ultimate engine ????

Peter T

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Graham,

If I recall this was also part of an April fool's picture in Low Flying where it had 2 sets of rear wheels ! Sure there was an F1 like this ( sort of Tyrell in reverse )

Anthony

Engine in, oil lines in, now where's the hacksaw to cut the secondaries...

Rob, I suspect the important part about these V8 works is that they are going into SV's

Pete, not sure how they will fit into a std chassis ( like mine ;-()

Anthony

For 20K you can buy two 250 bhp Duratecs. That's including VAT. 280 bhp Duratecs that are used in rallying and proving to be very reliable come in at around 13K + VAT. There is also some talk about a 300 bhp 2.3 litre engine.

Raceline are in the process of building a 250 bhp 2.3 engine. Not a lot of revs and soft cams. Should pull like a train. Won't be a lot of money either. It is basically a 2.3 litre version of the 220 bhp 2 litre engine. Price around 6 / 7K + VAT.

I haven't seen anything that offers as good value for money with low weight. For me this is the ultimate engine. That's why I'm fitting one to my car 😬 😬 😬

AMMO

Mad Harry's Caterham or Lotus definately had a V8 Rover motor in it, with turbos, at the inaugral International Lotus 7 club meeting held at Beauliea, in 1983, it was quite rough as I recall, and made a huge smoke cloud with the demo burn out in the main parking area, this gentleman also had a Mini with a 1750 Maxi engine with twin carbs, why did he become known as Mad Harry, there was also a series 4 with a V8 engine and some awful tacky upholstery, vinyl hard top, and jacked up rear suspension, takes allsorts, and they're not all liquorice.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Anthony I dug out some old low flyings. The V8 car was the one that they used for the April fools day 6 wheel Caterham. The front half of the car was real the back half wasn't *smile*. A lot of members fell for it and 'wrote for details'. I had completely forgotten though that the car also had two turbos. Weighed 14 cwt. No mention of power.

It was worth going through the old Mags as I came across the famous series of a dozen or so articles by Michael Eddenden in the States called 'To build a seven' with the great cartoons. Possibly the best series of articles that low flying has ever seen. The guy was a natural writer with a wonderful dry sense of humour.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 11 Dec 2003 08:40:07

I saw Mad Harry's twin turbo Rover V8 at Brooklands many years ago *eek* Agricultural perhaps doesn't quite convey the crudeness of it all! As for the 220 BHP "limit", I'm not unfortunately in the position to offer any first hand advice, but you do reach a point of diminishing returns where more power just results in more wheelspin etc.

I will be on the road by Christmas. Photos here

Graham, agreed entirely on the series by Micheal - where is he now ? Definately a good reason for ripping to plastic cover off low flying

Pete, sorry for the hi-jack !

Anthony

Graham

100 % sure. Not my prices. Check out what Mountune are charging. I've had to base my prices on theirs and I agree with them. The engine as a donor unit is so good it needs very little done to it. The 280 bhp engine uses a stock crank. It is a fantastic unit. Let's face it we are not all millionaires. The Duratec is an incredible engine for the price. That is why I have decided to invest money into making it into the main engine I supply (I have just ordered twenty engines, that is how confident I am). In a couple of years time people will come to realise just how good it is. There is some resitance while it proves itself but when it does in my opinion it will take over.

Is it better than a Rover? Yes.

Is it better than a VX? Yes (the poor thing although very good once upon a time is old and overweight. A bit like their owners 😬)

Forget about fantasy engines that we can't afford. This is a real unit at realistic prices that people (who have a bit of dosh) can afford.

I am blinkered and I am biased, but in all the years I have been involved inthe tuning industry I have never seen anything like this. Show a Duratec head to any established tuner who has not seen one before and their jaws drop. It is really funny to watch. Of all the engines I have sold to date the majority have gone to the trade.

I am really looking forward to going to the Autosport Show in January to see who is doing what. Some of the engine builders I've supplied will be there.

The more tuners get involved with this engine the more options the end user will have. This is a very good thing in my opinion.

As a parting shot, Raceline's Duratec 220 bhp engines go through SVA with no cat. It is a clean, modern unit that has te potential to produce more power most people are likely to need in a Seven.

If the Duratec was a woman it would be always willing and able to perform and never complain about headaches. 😬 😬 😬

AMMO