Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lost head gasket ?

Chris Beards

🤔 Went for a quick wizz this afternoon only to find on my return a small amount of coolant had vented via the expansion bottle cap into the engine bay. The bottom of the bottle contained a dark sediment and the coolant has a distict oily consistency.

No temperature problems were indicated and the rocker cover oil cap and dipstick are clean.

I suspect the gasket may have failed 1800K 9000 miles and a soft life. Any thoughts welcome.

How easy is a K head off job?

Replacement of the K head gasket is easy and should take you about 4 hours. Be sure to use the uprated Mike Satur gasket available direct or from DVA Power. However oil in the coolant has proved not to be a simple head gasket job in all cases and no one knows for sure as yet what is causing the problem.

A cracked block in the area around the oilway drilling which supplies the head is favourite which should be curable by sleeving the drilling. I

4 hours? Bloody hell, you use a chainsaw? Maybe you can do it with practice in this time, God knows K owners get plenty, but 4 hours is optimistic. Rover garages book it as 6 hours in a 214/6/8 which I think is realistic bearing in mind there is better access in a 7.

When I did mine it took me 2 afternoons and a few evenings, doing other things besides here and there. I also sent the head away for a skim, strongly recommended. Crack testing is optional, I took the risk.

Pressure testing (any decent garage) is the test method, and analysis of coolant for combustion products.

DIY costs c. 150 parts and consumables, add 80 for skimming, less if you strip the head yourself first. Budget 4 hundred plus at a garage. It's a nice job, though not for the fainthearted.