Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 speed speedo drive oil seal

Mick Day

I've been reading the archives on this topic but no one mentions how to prise the b*gg** out. Does one use a small screw driver or maybe a couple of self tappers & then pull? Is there a tool one can buy? . *confused*

All suggestions gratefully received.

Mick

The old seal is wrecked in the removal.

I used a strong flay blade screwdriver blade through the centre between the shafy and the seal lips to locate the back face and prise up one side thenthe other. It is not a nice clean process, more of a brutish operation. You have to be careful not the scrach the surface of the shaft or the new seal will not work.

• 1 month later...

I've got the dreaded slick under the car too (with 5 miles on the odo ☹️), and now have a replacement seal from Caterham.

There was no instructions in the assembly guide as to which way round the seal goes. I think I put it in with the 'open' end (i.e the side with the spring) facing inwards - is this correct, or should it be the other way round *confused*

Cheers

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. Had my first drive on 19/12/03 at 17.10!

I must admit it has crossed my mind, but to be honest I like an excuse to fiddle around with the car 😬

After all, once I trailer *eek* it down to Dartford for PBC/SVA, I'll be without if for four weeks ☹️

Looks like my garage may be used to store a friend's Se7en for a couple of weeks during that time, but it is SORNed so undriveable...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. Had my first drive on 19/12/03 at 17.10!