Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Options

I am looking to replace the standard battery on my seven with a race or bike battery to reduce weight. Can anyone suggest what I should look for? It needs to crank a Crossflow. Will a 12v bike battery be sufficient? Any other useful tips?

My Redtop 15 has been great. Never had any probs spinnning the 2.0lts over.

I was able to mount it lying flat in the chassis tubes way under the through the bonnet exhaust for extra low C of G. Weights:

Battery (Banner wet lead acid Caterham supplied 300Ah cranking, 30Ah) 8 KGS

Battery holder for Banner battery in Stainless steel inc bolts 0.3 KGS

Battery (Hawker 25Ahr batt weight according to Raceparts) 9 KGS

Battery (Retop15) 400Ah cranking, 13Ah) 4.75 KGS

Battery bracket Redtop (homemade) 0.05 KGS

Since fitting EFI (Jenveys) I just hit the button and it starts first time every time.

However I did knock the ECU plug out once (long story) and cranked quite a few times before thinking about it and checking the plug, this was at a club meet... There was still enough to left in the Redtop to start her.

I would be sceptical to batts not designed for cranking car engines - A friend of mine has experience of one not working.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 6 Dec 2003 22:21:21

The cold weather has recently highlighted the need for me to renew the battery on my 1700 xflow as well. ☹️

Have any other xflow owners tried the oddessey range and if so which one?

Do they fit under the carbs without the need to remove the carbs and manifold? Or has anyone used this as an opportunity to re-site the battery?

Mine is dry -sumped so I have no space on the passenger-side bulkhead.

Cheers

Strongy - I think its getting louder again 😬

• Leadership Team

Steve,

What did you use to make the homemade bracket? I'd imagine just some bent metal strip?

As I don't easily have the facilities to cut a strip out of sheet metal, is this available in strips off the shelf?

Thanks - Michael.

Rob, The reason it's better sited under the carbs is to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. I fitted a Red Top and it's small enough (and can be turned on it's side) to get into place from underneath. My "bracket" is the original Caterham strap re-shaped and tied with a cable tie across the top.

I went through 3 small exide's all off which failed after 12 months. I suspect the reason was by tipping the battery on it's side, the battery acid in the front cells was running back into the end cells, then, after time the front cells failed.

norman verona

1989 BDR

Does your Crossflow have an electric fuel pump? Earlier cars used mechanical pump. I wrecked two batteries on old crossie then changed to Zetec 2ltr with lecky pump and BMW motorcycle battery. Fitted the original battery box and has worked perfectly for 8 years!

Matt

On my '95 classic with Xflow I have used Odyssey PC680MJ, rated at 680 cranking amps-5 sec, for over a year with no problems, about 1/2 width of battery that came with car so I just put a block of wood in holder to take up space, situated on R (passenger side) of shelf at back of engine bay, Jay Glass

Michael - the easiest way to cut strips of metal is with tinsnips in a vice or at a push a Workmate. If too heavy then use an angle grinder. None of these items is expensive, other than the vice and these are available s/h. Bending up the corners will need a vice, or if you don't have this opposing bits of angle iron in our friend the Workmate again.

If you have a garage then there's no excuse for not building a bench with a vice on it, you'll use it all the time. (Breakfast, TV suppers...). If you don't then you'll have to make do with a Workmate.