Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry sump and crank pics from VDU 7X

Alex Wong1697456877

Here's some pics of my dry sump tank installation

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

and here's one of my lightened crank with it's "axe profile" leading edges (as Barbara called it)

pic 4

The dry sump tank really does look like it belongs there and saves cutting the footwell. I haven't noticed any heat from it to the footwells. Obviously I can't put the heater back in.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Edited by - Alex Wong on 26 Mar 2001 20:24:43

No, just being impatient during an episode of server slowdown.

Just come back from my first real drive. (passed MOT, got tax disc etc etc)

It is rediculously fast smile.gif and I was sort of relieved to put it away for the night! teeth.gif As expected, it is a very progressive power delivery. Very smooth and just keeps pulling from 4000 rpm tp 7500rpm. Unlike the JPE engine, it doesn't seem to have a boost of power at 5000 rpm but it still feels monumentally fast.

The clutch is just right for what I wanted (thanks DaveK - and sorry Taz!) It is noisy on overrun but is quite acceptable.

It's hard to grin when you're doing 7000rpm in fourth isn't it? wink.gif

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) / /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Alex, this arrangement would seem to counter one of the main reasons given for using the bell-housing sump from Caterham. You, like them have kept the tank along the centre line of the car and the piping arrangement must me near identical. Well done, at last an original solution to the problem.

The tank is obviously a bit higher than usual, does this mean that when left overnight the oil will all drain back into the sump pan through the pump?

Edited by - stewartg on 27 Mar 2001 01:01:57

Alex, neat installation, looks great. I also finished installing the external-tanl in my Vauxhall, I´ll post some pictures soon.

What I also realised: Your engine does not carry a ca-belt-cover anymore. My engine-tuner highly recommended this to me as it does not cost you any power or speed but protects the cam-belt from small stones (gravel, road, whatever) which could "hop" into the running belt and change the cam-belt-timing, means lots of metal-crap inside the engine. What do you think, I´m not sure about this.

Marius

Marius,

The cam belt cover is a good idea. It is a genuine risk that a stone could throw the belt and destroy your engine. I keep telling myself to get one - What i might do is cut it in half and only put the bottom half on to protect from stones, but the exposed verniers look so nice that I'd like to leave them open.

Alex

Stewart, it does drain down overnight but not to empty. (1/3 full after 1 night) If I left it a few days it probably would and I'd have to add some oil to prime the system. I don't think this is a major problem as I think the hose will always have some oil in it to feed the pump at startup.

Alex

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 27 Mar 2001 12:14:22

How many BHP? God only knows. QED printed out 234ish, but we saw 241BHP later in the day. It feels ALOT faster than a Swindon 235 engine, and not far removed from a JPE engine but with a wider power band. What's nice about this engine is how early the power comes on. - From 4000rpm up, it just pulls and it is just as easy to drive at 2000 rpm as it was before. (except the clutch is harder work)

Spec as promised

Bottom end

Lightened crank, lightweight flywheel, Omega flat-top pistons, Arrow Steel rods, QuaterMaster 7.25 Sport twin plate clutch - all balanced by Coventry Balancing (mine was balanced just before an Arrows F1 engine was balanced by them!)

Head

+1mm valves inlet and outlet

head shaved to give 12ish compression

Lots of porting (as opposed to a little - QED offered 2 levels of porting)

Q450 cams

Induction

QED (Jenvey) DCOE type 45mm TB's (unchanged, but new Weber green injectors - very pretty metal bodies)

Matched inlet manifold

Exhaust

Caterham 4:1 competition exhaust

Gosh - it sounds like alot of kit when it's written down like that!

Alex

My Caterham 235 spec had exactly 196bhp on the dyno as supplied by Caterham. Alegedly a JPE only showed 204 on the same dyno.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

Alex,

Providing no hiccoughs, ( my rewiring ! ) the target for rollout of my '262bhp monster' is late next week, so spare a thought for my meagre 6 inch rears.....

Will need ride heights resetting, and a flat floor setup as I've changed the front shockers too so when it's ready we can go out and play...

Looking forward to it.

Alan

L7 FUN

NotSoLightVx - but with 262.5Bhp!

MM,

Vaux HPC 1993 Evo straight from the factory (i.e. not to Swindons spec!)

The engine was dyno'ed - why would the gearbox make any difference??

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

Edited by - fat arnie on 28 Mar 2001 10:38:14