Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 for sale or p/x for more sensible SL

masha

if you are interested to upgrade from an SL/SLR to a mint road-use R500 then this might be the deal for you. I've had this car 6 months from Caterham and its covered just 1,500 miles on the new latest spec R500 Minister block, which was changed under warrantee by Caterham (6,000 miles in total on this 2000 registered car). All the usual R500 refinements and appearance and condition is still as new, maintained with no expense spared, full Caterham service history. For further details, pictures email ms81@cant.ac.uk

... update - may consider p/x + cash to the value of £28k for any of the following vehilces if the price is right:

- any 6-speed k-series 7, (cycle-wings, non-Q, 1.4/1.6/1.8)

- mercedes slk

- bmw M-Coupe or M-Roadster

- porsche 963 964 993 series 911 (coupe only, not targa or cabrio)

- renault clio v6

- audi s3

- honda s2000

- mitsubishi L200 half-cab 4x4

- land rover defender, diesel

- honda VTR firestorm (yes a bike)

That should open-up some options a bit; so if you fancy owning the very best of all things Caterham (ie an as-new R500 complete with a very nice R500 personal plate), and have one of the above vehicles you can live without, well now's your chance.

Thanks for info / replies, but have practically decided to go down the Tuscan S route now and try a totally different road-going animal for a bit. R500 will be appearing at Caterham Sales for sale 2nd week Jan with all the usual warrantee and piece of mind for those interested. Happy 7ing and I can still recommend the R500 as it was very satisfying owning the fastest 0-60 production car in the world, for 6months anyway, especially such an immaculate 'as new super-lightweight' example, a real pleasure.

in a word, yes (fully paid up AA actually)

I've seen a nice 964 as it happens, but can't convince bro who would have a part share in a replacement for the R500 over £20k (he only likes 993's and above, but wouldn't want to plough too much into a 911).

As it happens on my way back from the airport yesterday, I saw another Cerbera on the hard shoulder (I've seen a few of these over the years). Have not spotted any stranded Tuscans yet.

PS Merry Xmas Mark and fellow 7ers

TVRs are awesome, ..... when they work! I've recently defected form the world of TVR ownership and have just bought a new R400 (haven't got it yet but expecting great things from it ....)

Owning a TVR is not a problem so long as you expect the worst and go into it with your eyes wide open - then all you can be is pleasantly surprised when you have no problems. However, check out the Pistonheads Tuscan Forum and read the horror stories before you buy! Tales of 3 Engine rebuilds in 24 months, each depriving owners of their cars for at least a month are not uncommon! Not my idea of fun and that's alot of time to spend in a crap courtesy car when the sun is out ....

Can I ask what put you off the R500 after only 6 months?

R400C

I would never ever buy another TVR - after having owned four different one over the years -ALL have been a nightmare and so unreliable that one is literally scared to drive them.

Would be fantastic cars if they could sort them out!

Have done 6000m in my R500 however, no problems at all! (touch wood!)

Good luck!!