Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear wind screen

Simon Horan

Has anyone experimented / already produced a rear wind screen (as opposed to windscreen, I know my driving isnt competition standard but its not theat bad !) to fit inside/in/to an FIA rollbar. The children love it but feel the cold.

There are two alternatives - slow down or make a screen.

Comments on the screen then....

Cheers

Simon

You could be onto something here a lot of cars can have some sort of mesh screen behind the head rests added to cut down curl-round buffetting. I'm thinking of the Boxter and Merc SLK. Magazine reviews have said it works too.

Stewart

I was out on Saturday and saw the slk with mesh screen, come to think of it, most rag tops have this as an option and then remembered that a mate who is upto his arse in bits of a Stag (it takes all sorts....) said that there is a perspex screen actually made for this specific purpose.

I think that mesh is the way forward from a weight point of view (the stags main problem being how to keep the weight under 3 tons or threreabouts). Would have to either remove passenger headrest completely, cut hole in mesh or, if perspex fix headrest pad to it.

Standard rollover - no probs, FIA bar a little more involved.

A jobby for this weekend I feel, unless there is new knowledge out there !!

Simon

Simon

I've often thought about trying the mesh inside the roll-bar myself maybe fixed to a wire frame and held on round the bar with velcro tapes or similar. Anybody know where to get hold of the mesh, I am quite prepared to be the 'Guinea pig' and come up with a prototype.

Brent

I will be very interested in the results experienced with the back screen.

The modern cars, such as the Merc, that use the technique, have air flowing from the foot well and have done a LOT of wind tunnel modelling. You can't sit in a topless chamber traveling through air at 80 mph and pull down a nice calm partial vacuum in the passenger compartment. The answer will be about deflection and flow reduction (which is why mesh is used instead of transparent sheet)

I think the experimenters should get best results with the heater vents open and fan on full blast. Please publish results using report by passenger with shoulder length hair.

There is a chap who has a 7 at the Cheshire meeting of the Caterham car club that has developed such a mesh screen to run from the roll bar. His name is Tony (surname I don't know) but I'm sure you can find the details via the regional organiser.

I fitted a fairly crude metal mesh screen, shaped to fit in the roll bar to my X/F Classic, in an effort to cut down back draught. The mesh was a thin metal sheet drilled with tiny holes and bought from B&Q. As far as I could make out it made little difference to the turbulance in the car and down my neck. So I binned the idea.

Yes, this has been done a few times, Dick Manning from Dorset has made up a perspex screen, and I've done the same with my 21.

We both get more or less the same results. The back draught from the centre is cut down, but there appears to be more airflowing down the sides and around the back of the doors, so that the drivers right ear gets more of a hammering. I'm about to start playing with this by filling the open section between the back of the sidescreen and the roll bar.

Got to get the car back on the road first, so this won't happen till mid May though. It's quite easy to cut perspex, and you may be lucky to find a local supplier who may have large scrap pieces which are suitable.

Simon et al, Why did you EVER buy a 7? Rear screens, wimps and hardtops are for.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................WIMPS.

You should all sell your 7 (if you really own one) and buy a Z3.

BMW owners need not reply, I'm going to bed.

Disgusted of Surrey.

Make a trial one out of Gaffa tape! That'll tell you if it'll be effective or not. Reckon it'll slow you down some though - even if its mesh!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

You could well be on the right track with a mesh screen. I have found a noticable reduction in draft from behind just with the hood bag fitted to the roll bar.

For the ultimate draft protection I could recommend strapping a huge tent, poles, sleeping bag et al through the roll bar BUT the weight penalty, light steering and complete lack of rear visibility is a major problem!

Dear Disgusted of Surrey,

It could be that you are still in the first flush of youth, or maybe have only had 2-3 sevens so far and are still allowing yourself to be deluded into being a masochist, thinking that this is the only way of enjoying the unique experience that is se7en motoring?

It's great that people are so enthusiastic about their cars to want to personalise them in any way they can. Those Wimps do look like a great touring weapon, [i might just rip off the idea and get one made by my local hood maker] of course I wouln't use one when doing any competition motoring, just means that you change the car to suit the use to which it's being put.

Go for it Simon.

• 4 weeks later...
Definitely think the way to go is with a mesh screen rather than a solid sheet,as mentioned previously,the idea is to slow down the airflow not stop it and make it go another way.The screens on open cockpit cars such as the Z3 and S2000 do work very well at reducing the back draught around the windscreen.

Bit late on this thread, yes I tried the solid perspex route - makes little difference.

However, hood bag makes a noticable difference - how far up can you come before it gets worse.

Incedently, toured last summer with motorcycle panniers fitted in the same plane as the roll bar diagonals, made a big difference - much less turbulance (lousy rear view though)

regards,

allen

If anybody is interested, I have a set of the wimp screens mentioned earlier, and they are fantastic. It takes all the buffeting away from the back of the neck, and you can drive in the pouring rain and not get wet. A 385 mile journey from Reims in one day last year proved their worth. The down side is that it cuts down on the noise level, which allows you to understand what the wife is saying to you.

Anybody interested, contact Simon Hellberg on 01590 645161 or email simonica@westhants7s.co.uk.

Dave C

WEL653

I'd agree with DC. I use a pair of wimps when touring long distance and combined with the hood bag they do a good job.

They are easy to fit and you can throw them in the boot when you arrive at your destination. The only problem i've found is they tend to rub on the roll bar, so i put a couple of strips of electrical tape in these areas.

I have made some 'HLWD',s (High Level Wind Deflectors) for use with std. windscreens that clip on and raises the airflow over a tall person/head and gets away from some of the rear buffet problem!

These have seen some/ several months use (they went round Brands at the Festival OK)thumbsup.gif. When I took them off at a kit car show recently (to stop the light fingered!) and drove back without them on I was amazed as I'd forgotten how much buffeting there was as std.!!!thumbsdown.gif

Brent Chiswick uses a pair for his son as he is tall; you know, looks over the 'screen not through it!!!