Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crank shaft drilling required

Tony Martyr

This is a variation on the 1800 k series crank-shaft fitting theme

My new crank has a spigot bearing drilling that is too shallow by about 12 mm to take the full length of the gearbox shaft supported by the spigot bearing.

I understand that some up-graders have cut length off the gearbox shaft to solve the problem but it is case hardened and not a nice solution.

Looking at the original 1600 crank the hole is 47mm deep and 20mm dia.

The 1800 crank I have has a hole only 27mm deep so I propose to turn up a drilling bush in pilot size and for an 18mm drill and take to hole another 18mm deep.

I would welcome comments, particularly from those who have successfully done the same job

Tony,

Chop the input shaft.

The 1400cc K cranks with the deep spigot hole were non std - drilled by Caterham so they could use the same 6 speed gearbox spec in VX and K.

Cutting the end (neatly) off the input shaft and chamfering shoulders takes about 2 mins with a decent angle grinder. You'll need someone to turn the other end of the box though.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Tony ,

I agree with Arnie, chopping off the input shaft is the best option. I cut mine off with an angle grinder and chamfered the end took a couple of minutes. It was only the old six speeders that had the long input shaft. I had no choice but to cut mine as I fitted a fully crossdrilled steel crank which had an oil drilling in the end journal, if I had or could have drilled deeper to accomadate the long input shaft I would have broken through into the drilling. Nitrided EN40B is pretty hard to drill is another reason.

Tony ,

IIRC the hole is 22.15mm in diameter and the six speeder input shaft runs in the ford spigot bearing so you need the special Caterham bush to sleeve up the hole to take the ford spigot bearing which is 20.98-21.01mm OD. The depth of the 22.15mm section should be 20.3mm. I chopped 13mm offa my input shaft.

Confused Yet????????/

• Leadership Team

Not at all Malcolm.

When you remove the 1400, check the end of the input shaft and you should be able to see where it has been running in the spigot bearing - place a new spigot bearing on the shaft if you have one. You'll find approx 13mm of shaft sticking out that spins in free space - this is the bit you need to remove.

BTW, make sure you re-gring a good taper on the end of the shaft otherwise mating the engine to the gearbox will be a nightmare.

Stu.