Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advent Calendar

pinkprincess

Sorry, this was meant to be a bit of a regular feature on my part but my usually reliable PC's Windows XP has had another funny turn (something about a config.sys file being corrupted on start up) so I'm not being a humbug, just p!$$ed off that I can only put my usual informative 😳 and drole 😳 😳 banter on to the site whenever the computer's not having a bout of PMT.

PS....any XP experts in the sheds or should I disappear upstairs for a *confused* session? The thing wouldn't boot without the recovery disc copying its files so I've got to reconfigure everything which isn't as easy as it sounds for a PC trogladite ☹️

RW04FUN

It's here......

no craig, the XP system has the "restore to last known good configuration" option that can reset the registry, and make things right (usually) again. when you install a new program on XP it makes checkpoints that you can restore to.

i know have had to use it before...but it worked

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD

Aye - I guess that's the important thing. My experiences of restoring to a last known good point are tainted by Windows 98, which always, without exception, seemed to consider the last good configuration the one that it saved after the first successful boot...

I was brought up on a diet of MS-DOS and Windows 3.1, so brain was thinking (for Rich's problem) along the lines of an incompletely uninstalled application that had left a reference in the CONFIG.SYS to a non-existant driver. It would be easier to remove that line than to suffer a '98 style hijack *smile*

Caterham 21 VHPD aka... the Caterham Nippy Truck

Edited by - c21vhpd on 4 Dec 2003 18:22:48

Well I'm managing to post without much in the way of a slow connection so maybe it's sorted now, although I now have the built-in XP firewall switched on.

But it has happened before where I was without a system for several days while I phoned Microsoft (expensive) and Carrera SSC, the computer's make, who were actually very good as they suspected the problem was probably caused by the Blaster Worm virus. This happened before I had installed the anti-virus software (.....d'oh!) so I'm not sure why it's done it again.

Steve, I tried to used the restore facility after the re-install but a previous date before the new XP install could not be chosen as I now have a completely different user name with completely new settings to go with it. AFAIK I will not be able to select an earlier date as I'll only have one identity who first used the computer on Monday (and owned since February *confused*). I now have about five different folders with various identities, all called variations of my name but only one logged in user!

RW04FUN

I've started so I'll finish....maybe before March