Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Spongy Brakes

Slipper man

My R500 has always disappointed me with the feel of its brakes. They are OK, but not as firm as I would like, and after they have been standing following a track session, they are very soft indeed, until they have been used a bit.

I tried a race master cylinder (helped a little) flushed the system with new higher spec brake fluid, and bleed the brakes after every track day. They still don't feel as good as a friends' 1998 superlight. I can't think what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Keith,

This problem plagued me for four years and I have taken advise from everyone in the trade. I am not going to go through all the mods that I tried but advise you to throw away those nasty Seirra rear calipers and fit the uprated brakes along with a set of pagid rs14 pads all round and some high spec brake fluid . You won`t regret it.

Rob

Keith,

The uprated rear brake kit comes with, tiny handbrake calipers that are mounted off the De Dion ear and work independant of the Two pot AP main rear calipers. The Kit is a pukka Caterham kit number MB02R. and costs £500 plus vat. The kit consists of two De Dion ears which you will have to specify what camber you want .25 for slicks & ACB and 2Degrees for radials, two uprated hub carriers and bearings, two uprated discs, two AP 2 pot calipers, two Air brake spot handrake calipers, plus all fixings and goodridge hoses. A set of standard road pads. I would advise you to get a credit on these and buy some Pagid RS 14 instead which will be more suitable for your use. Performance braking in Monmouth can supply these 01600 713117. IMO the up rated rear brake kit is a bit of a bargin.

Rob

If you run with the watts linkage the ends of the flexible goodridge hoses will have to be modified to clear the rear facing radius arms. I used extended 45 degree offset banjo fittings on a friends Superlight R.

You would be wise also to fit an adjustable brake proportioning valve into the rear circuit whilst you have it all drained of fluid.