Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Me ears 'ave gone black!

Gridgway

Just got a new pair of DD ears so I can set the car up properly for ACB10s and guess what...they are not only black (anodised I assume), but have been re-designed and look like they are machined differently (CNC maybe).

They look really nice. Are they standard issue now?

Graham

Caterham? They know nothing, they just sell them.

I'm building an Academy car at the moment and was really impressed by the latest spec ears, the ones I've got are much more closely machined around the holes and the middle bit thinned out where's it's not needed. But they're not black.

I weighed one at 694g but the ears of my normal car are race ones with different caliper mounts, they're currently fitted with wheel speed sensors, geometry correcting shims and anti rioll bar drop links so a direct comparison is not easy.

If they are lighter then the weight saving will be more than offset by the extra weight of the de dion tube which is much more substantial then the older one, thicker tube if nothing else. It also has little triangular strengthening plates welded over the end of the damper mounts so they have addressed the problem that they denied existed *smile*

Alright then if you're getting p*ssy about it. Someone in Caterham obviously knows about them as they have contracted with someone to make them. But unless you have some contact within Caterham that allows you to ring up and get through to anyone with a bunch of what to them are tedious unnecessary questions then you won't be able to talk to the people who know. The people you will get through to are them two guys on Parts sales, they know a lot but they don't know everything about every option. The ears come packaged in brown anti rust paper so all the Parts guys know is that there are 10 on the computer and 10 in the rack, they don't know whether thay are CNC machined or whether they are black or not or whether the new ones are 0.1kg lighter or not. Why should they?

One of the purposes of this list for me is to flag up these sort of things and let other people know what is occuring. Graham mentioned it, I have both handy so can compare one with the other. So Stuart if you don't like this then p*ss off back to your nice little house with your snotty negative comments and leave people who are interested to discuss it.

Are they still marked? There wasn't anything stamped on the Academy ears. But perhaps that's default and they just stamp the non-standard ones. Soon see when I finish it and check the geometry, provided the tolerances on the new tubes are better than the old ones of course.

If I change to radial slicks (still exploring the optiosn) then I guess I'll be in the market for 2 or 2.5 degree race rears.

All of the following discovered after much painstaking research (ie sending an email from my nice little house to people who know nothing).

79084 0.25 standard brakes (old spec)

79084 0.25 standard brakes (new spec black)

77184/5 h.p.brakes 0.25 degree (handed due to the holes being on the top for calipers)

79080 standard brakes (old spec) 1.5 degree

79080-1.5 standard brakes (new spec) Ali finish

77186/7 h.p.brakes 2 degree (spec as per 77184/5 fitment)